Railroad Forums 

• LIRR C420 Preservation: Dakota Southern Railroad Engine 213

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1587107  by workextra

Hi, I don’t know what the deal is weather 213 could be returned to operation or just a parts source.
I know my friends at Twin Forks did go and make an attempt at getting 213 but was unsuccessful due to the cost involved in buying and transportation to LI being prohibitive.
That said, Twin Forks would gladly take a complete 213 or other C420 for a “towable” static display piece.
That said. Here’s the problem.
They have set forth several donation attempt and request for their B&M project, and their project with the 3 cars received from Frank Fisher. A lot of the money hasn’t come in fast enough.
Train buffs are cheap, especially the LIRR buffs, they can’t even honestly raise the moeny for the bottomless pit 39 turned into. Let alone help restore the 4590, now they know it’s going back into B&M colors because the NRHS grant deal specified that as part of the grant. The LIRR buffs ran far away and now “lost interest”
Guys, cut the crap, you’re either supporting the preservation of WHAT LITTLE SURVIVES HERE or your not. cut the paint and rivet counting crap.

Back to the parties out 213.
Is it being donated to the chapter?
Is one of you go getters going to subsidize some of the expense to acquire and transport the unit?

Let’s see
1) is there sufficient financial local Support.
2) will this support be reoccurring or one time?
3) provided the unit was here tomorrow. How many volunteers will be willing to come out abs volunteer on it?
Clean, metal Work. Prime, Paint, electrical to get the loco lights to work via shore power?
3a) where are you all right now? Why aren’t you volunteering on the equipment currently undergoing restoration?
Please make this answer good.

At the end of the day, as much as. I would absolutely love to bring 213 or another C420 or LI unit home, frankly there isn’t enough financial support locally for this to happen.

Let’s for argument sake say just to bring this parts unit here will cost $200k including work to allow it to be interchangeable dead in tow.

How many of you will be donating and how much you willing to put down on this project?
If I can get $200k donated to Twin Forks for a parts C420 by December 31, I will ask my friends to go after it.
If it fails, than might I politely request y’all to quit whining, and start volunteering and donating to preserve what’s currently being worked on.
BTW, no one in NY is donating to a locomotive restoration project that won’t be running in NY. Forget it.

Sorry if I come off the wrong way. But this is the truth, it’s why we on LI have lost so much irreplaceable equipment.
The argument cannot be broken until there is a significant regular funding source.
 #1587255  by workextra

I don’t know where this parted out C420 is or came from.
I was told 213 was going to be used at its now home. But no further information at this time.
Professionally I would prefer to see 213
Go to a road who can rebuilt and operate it than come home and not move for a while if at all.
Now when the current owner is done with it, the unit should within reason be offered to preservation if anything buyer other than a scrapper isn’t found.
Nuff said on 213.

There are a lot of cars in Riverhead, and a ping pong in Oyster Bay, let’s donate to that stuff and get progress done. The sooner that stuff gets saved maybe then the engine issue will be solved.
If you think 200 is “safe”
Think again, I give it 10 More years, I home I’m wrong.
But if sometimes isn’t done NOW, as in YESTERDAY, this museum piece, one of a kind, will be lost forever.
Did they boil the water? Sir the pot?
Don’t reply to that here. Swing it to LI preservation.
Talk is cheap.
 #1587673  by RGlueck

As long as the 213 exists, it would be prudent to begin an escrow fund to purchase the locomotive when it is released from A&M service. No, I am not going to head this task, but somebody with connection to either LIRR museums and a realistic frame of reference, with consideration of insurance, transportation, and similar expenses should do it.
 #1591197  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: In the 2/1-2 VR grab bag video posted AM 69 (213) was passing through Parkville, MO at 1:00.
The AM 69 can be again viewed in Kansas City at 4:10 (as Fred mentions) headed to the A&M...
Good spotting by VR for the record...
MACTRAXX