Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MACTRAXX

Steve: The boxcars are from left to right -
Rock Island, Canadian Pacific, Missouri Pacific, ? , Norfolk and Western; Frisco.
All but the N&W car are in traditional boxcar red. This is a good picture for a LIRR modeler.
MACTRAXX
  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote:Steve: The boxcars are from left to right -Rock Island, Canadian Pacific, Missouri Pacific, ? , Norfolk and Western; Frisco.All but the N&W car are in traditional boxcar red. This is a good picture for a LIRR modeler. MACTRAXX
Thank you, Mike. Actually a great picture. It's all roofwalk, 40' boxcar red cars. Thus pre-1968.
1. How did you ID the N&W car (I'm searching for a match to this herald...) to place the car date (within the 1960s) and thus perhaps narrow the the photo date?

My questions are concerning a long term project, I have been making of photo scenes as this one, that I have been noting the location, date, freight car types, etc. for both modeling/historical reference. :-)
  by scopelliti

Yes, yes, yes! Great detail on the look of the buildings in back, the 55 gallon drums and associated detritus, the green grass along the rails, weathering on the cabooses, etc.
  by scopelliti

Crabman1130 wrote:
RGlueck wrote:In the 1960's, there was agray and orange reach car at Bay Ridge, with an orange cabin on it. Emblazoned in the rear-end of the house was a black bat, lifted directly from the "Bat-Man" television show logo. Over it was neatly painted "Bat-Car".
I tried to post a picture of it, but the photo contained too many pixels. I don't use a hosting site like photobook, so I have no other way to post it.
I can get it converted to a lower resolution/size etc. and hosted. Message me for an email address.
  by AlKaLI

nyandw wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:Steve: The boxcars are from left to right -Rock Island, Canadian Pacific, Missouri Pacific, ? , Norfolk and Western; Frisco.All but the N&W car are in traditional boxcar red. This is a good picture for a LIRR modeler. MACTRAXX
Thank you, Mike. Actually a great picture. It's all roofwalk, 40' boxcar red cars. Thus pre-1968.
1. How did you ID the N&W car (I'm searching for a match to this herald...) to place the car date (within the 1960s) and thus perhaps narrow the the photo date?

Steve:

Please see link: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4886476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look just above the radiator of the #445, you can see on the left side of the boxcar the "N&W" in the middle of the circle. Also a little hard to tell but on the right side of the boxcar looks like "NORFOLK", thus N&W.

Real great photo. The N&W box seems to be in faded black? with a silver roof? Hard to tell but does it have a roofwalk? Possibly removed already thus dating the picture so more?
  by freightguy

Wonder what all those “s” denotes discarded by the 55 gallon drums?
  by nyandw

AlKaLI wrote:
nyandw wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:If you look just above the radiator of the #445, you can see on the left side of the boxcar the "N&W" in the middle of the circle. Also a little hard to tell but on the right side of the boxcar looks like "NORFOLK", thus N&W. Real great photo. The N&W box seems to be in faded black? with a silver roof? Hard to tell but does it have a roofwalk? Possibly removed already thus dating the picture so more?
So the N&W herald is a 1950's vintage, but if the roofwalk is gone I use this as a guide: Not conclusive, but I would date the photo c.1968. A higher res photo, with roofwalk, perhaps c.1962... Guys?

Note: When in the D&H yard, Oneonta, NY in 1971 almost every boxcar had no roofwalk. Seems the railroads tore them off ASAP!

AAR INTERCHANGE RULES BY YEAR

1966: 10/01/66 Federal ban on running boards for new cars delivered
1967: 1/01/1967 High mount hand brakes prohibited on new cars
1968: ACI labels introduced
1970: Initial proposed date to require ACI labels in interchange
1972: Final date for ACI labels required in interchange. AAR recommends single-panel COTS stencil, for new & rebuilt cars
1974: Running boards to be removed from all cars (extended). Two-panel COTS stencil required by FRA, all cars
1978: White dot/yellow dot wheel inspection begins. ACI labels no longer required for interchange
1981: White dot/yellow dot wheel inspection ends
1982: Third version COTS, Jan 1 1982
1983: Running boards outlawed on all boxcars/reefers
  by Crabman1130

scopelliti wrote:
Crabman1130 wrote:
RGlueck wrote:In the 1960's, there was agray and orange reach car at Bay Ridge, with an orange cabin on it. Emblazoned in the rear-end of the house was a black bat, lifted directly from the "Bat-Man" television show logo. Over it was neatly painted "Bat-Car".
I tried to post a picture of it, but the photo contained too many pixels. I don't use a hosting site like photobook, so I have no other way to post it.
I can get it converted to a lower resolution/size etc. and hosted. Message me for an email address.
Thanks, I was able to lower the resolution and post it.
  by nyandw

OK, this is a car used for hump switching purposes and the ones without a shanty are the float reacher cars, yes??