• Line Upgrade vs Dynamic Brakes

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Ejen34

Now that most of the GRS rail has been updated, at least that is what I have been reading and been told. Would it be reasonable to ask that the old B&M policy of Dynamic brakes be ammended? From what I gather the track condition was the main reason behind the policy, correct?

by LCJ

I could be wrong here, but I believe the reason for that policy was because of the EMD hood units (GP7/9/18) that were not equipped with coupler stops. These units contributed to enough derailments while DB was applied that B&M disabled the systems and never ordered it again.

Pushing a train or using dynamics would move couplers to the extreme position, placing high lateral forces on the wheels -- leading to climbing out of the gauge.

NYC/PC had a rule in the Special Instructions about making sure coupler stops were in place before shoving a train with a GP7 or GP9.

by dnelson

Acording to a Guilford engoneer that I know, the reason that Guilford deactivated their dynamic brakes, is because they don't wanna pay for maintance.

by MEC407

It may be a combination of both factors -- reduced expense (because of reduced maintenance) as well as a holdover from the B&M days.