• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NellsChoo

The Lexington Historical Society is having a railroad-themed exhibit:

Sundays, January 6, 13 and 20, 2008

Society Sundays at the Depot

The Lexington Historical Society presents:

When the Railroad Came to Town, Lexington railroad history at the Lexington Depot (B&M)

The exhibit will be open Sunday afternoons January 6th, 13th and 20th from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. Enjoy tea and cookies and take in these wonderful exhibits. Free and open to the public. The railroad history exhibit is supported by the Lexington Council for the Arts
  by NRGeep

NellsChoo wrote:The Lexington Historical Society is having a railroad-themed exhibit:

Sundays, January 6, 13 and 20, 2008

Society Sundays at the Depot

The Lexington Historical Society presents:

When the Railroad Came to Town, Lexington railroad history at the Lexington Depot (B&M)

The exhibit will be open Sunday afternoons January 6th, 13th and 20th from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. Enjoy tea and cookies and take in these wonderful exhibits. Free and open to the public. The railroad history exhibit is supported by the Lexington Council for the Arts
And isn't it ironic that in addition to no more iron horses ever passing through Lexington there is no T bus service to Lexington on Sundays. :(

by NellsChoo

I've always been for putting commuter trains back on the Minuteman Trail to get rid of some traffic in the area... Maybe they should buy an RDC and plant it under the train shed as an exhibit!!!

:wink:

by b&m 1566

NellsChoo wrote:Maybe they should buy an RDC and plant it under the train shed as an exhibit!!!

With my girlfriend family living in Lexington, I can tell you that it has been brought up with some of the people in town. Not so much RDC but a caboose or something similar in size.

by NellsChoo

I read that Bay Colony has one to dispose of! I think it was a B&M one, too! :wink: :wink:

by BayColony1706

Are you referring to the ex Cape Cod RR Budd car? If so, it is an MBTA cast off, however its an Ex-Reading car. I beileve it is slated to be scrapped though.
  by Cosmo

Then they should DEFINITELY grab it!
They can always make it resemble a B&M coach....(and why not? Technically, under the MBTA it WAS a B&M car!)
At least until they can find a REAL B&M RDC. Then they'll have something to trade or sell!
Just a thought.
Pete
  by NellsChoo

Yes, SOMEONE should buy it. :wink:

The exhibit turned out to be rather dull. They have some displays on the walls that you read in order. If you have already read about the railroad in the area, you have seen most of the photos and know a lot of the text. The most interesting part for me was the laptop that shuffled through some interesting photos.

I won't ramble on about social stuff, but most people in Lexington are too worried about themselves and how well-off they appear to care about the exhibit. It was all a social thing for the few people in there...

But I digress. While it is nice they had the exhibit, I think this could have been a good way to have a little layout, some artifacts, etc for serious fans to see, but alas... even the interior of the station looks like an art gallery instead of a station.

Oh well... I guess we just have to head down to Bedford if we want something a little more REAL.

Re:

by aline1969

NellsChoo wrote:I've always been for putting commuter trains back on the Minuteman Trail to get rid of some traffic in the area... Maybe they should buy an RDC and plant it under the train shed as an exhibit!!!

I am for redline going to Lexington, that is more frequent than commuter. The T bus is the old M&B bus/trolley route and I gave the history talk at Lexington back in Jan. and the group were telling me stories of when the train would break down in the 50's/60's and the passengers would walk over to Mass Ave and catch the bus to Arlington Heights.
  by NellsChoo

I was recently stuck in traffic on rt95 trying to get home after work. I bailed out and decided to go through Lexington. Same traffic. Then I fould myself idleing away where the Minuteman path crosses the main road. I said to myself... if there were still trains here, they'd clean up. Look at all the people who commute this way. And now only bikes and feet do.

If people want to save gas... FIX THE TRAFFIC!!! Get the trains back!

(yes, I am biased!!) :wink: :wink:
  by Cosmo

NellsChoo wrote:
If people want to save gas... FIX THE TRAFFIC!!! Get the trains back!

(yes, I am biased!!) :wink: :wink:

I'm biased too! :wink: :-D
  by aline1969

If you were on 95 then the train to Lexington/Bedford would not help you... sounds like you go north/south on 128, as do I... Reading to Waltham and sadly there is no transit to help with this kind of driving...grrrr :wink:
  by atsf sp

NellsChoo wrote:Maybe they should buy an RDC and plant it under the train shed as an exhibit!!!
Who owns the two RDCs by the BET? They are just sitting there on shop trucks and probably won't be used by anyone in their state right now.