• Let's see your wrecked models

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by timberley

Hi everybody,

I was just inspired by the thread about having completed models whose prototypes were subsequently wrecked, to start a thread to see models of the wrecked prototypes, in their wrecked state.

So, have any of you modelled wrecked cars, locomotives, or even whole wreck scenes? I remember seeing an old MR article about how to model a wrecked box car using a heat gun and some creative weathering, which I thought was pretty neat.

We've all seen the models of abandoned cabooses in fields, or old coaches turned into roadside diners. So now, let's see the models of wrecked equipment.

If I had any to show off I would....although I have some ideas I'd like to try in the future, and would be happy to be inspired by what the rest of you have done.

Cheers!

Tim
  by timberley

Well, seeing as this thread has not generated the response I hoped it might, I'll start off with something I didn't plan on having...

While it has been (and still is) my intention to eventually intentionally wreck some pieces of equipment, I had an unintentional wreck occur about two weeks ago, when one of my HO Scale VIA Rail P42s (#915) took an unexpected plummet off of a shelf. Now, since that story is hardly prototypical (where are the giant shelves to plunge off in real life?), the "official" story is this: 915 was leading Train 56 from Toronto to Montreal when it collided with the rear-end of a transport-truck that was crossing the tracks through a grade-crossing near Prescott Ontario. The driver of the truck and the crew of the locomotive survived with only minor injuries, but the truck was destroyed, and though it did not derail, 915 suffered considerable front-end damage.

The damage can be seen in this photo:

Since the locomotive clipped the rear of the truck with the engineer's side of the engine, the damage is concentrated towards one side. The front coupler was also destroyed, but was replaced before this photo was taken (to facilitate transport of the locomotive from the wreck site). Though not visible in this photo, there was also some damage to the rear of the locomotive and the front of the first coach (LRC Club 3475) as a part of the damaged truck swung back in against the side of the train.

Following the accident, 915 was taken to VIA Rail's Montreal Maintenance Centre (MMC) for repairs. The maintenance folks patched up the front of the loco, and repaired the plow (although it will eventually be replaced). The patch-up job can be seen here:

As you can see, the maintenance folks didn't quite get the paint matching right, but they're not too concerned about that. Real VIA maintenance has done a similar job on their P42s before, in terms of not matching colours. Take a look at this shot of the real 915 for example: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 13&nseq=17 It seems my work was not too far off :P

In repairing this locomotive, I decided not to try to make it look like the damage never occurred. Instead, I chose to model it as a locomotive that was quickly patched up following an accident. Presumably, maintenance wanted the loco back in service quickly, so it got a "good enough" repair job. Someday it might get better patched up and fully repainted, but not for now.

While it was not a pleasant experience to have to pick up this locomotive after its fall (the motor was knocked completely out of whack too), it did offer an interesting modelling opportunity, which I chose to make the most of. In the end, I am left with a unique locomotive with a more interesting story!
  by Dieter

While it has been (and still is) my intention to eventually intentionally wreck some pieces of equipment
TIMBERLEY! I FOUND YOUR PICTURE ONLINE
Image :wink:

Anything I ever had wrecked, I ended up putting in a box, then CANNIBALIZING for parts, even rehabbing entire cars from pieces! The job you did on the smashup was impressive, it MUST have occured in MONTMAGNY!! I never had any intention of having junked stuff out, but I have to tell you..... I purchased one heavy ROCO wrecking crane, other people gave me the Bachmann one --- I have a total of FOUR CRANES. Do you think people are trying to tell me something about my trains>?????

D?
  by Espee9180

I'm in the process of modeling a wreaked coal hopper on a transport flatcar. I'll post some pictures later on since I'm in the early stages.
  by scharnhorst

I removed half the cross braceing from a covered hopper that I bought damanged and replaced it with small pices of brass wire. once done the car went directley on the layout with out a repaint. I also had anouther hopper car that was missing the whole A-End in which I replaced all that with a section off of anouther damaged car and put a diffret color brake wheel on the car. I also have a few Round House cars that have diffrent color brake wheels on them and some of my covered hoppers have missmatched and diffret color hatches on them as well.
  by timberley

Dieter wrote:
While it has been (and still is) my intention to eventually intentionally wreck some pieces of equipment
TIMBERLEY! I FOUND YOUR PICTURE ONLINE
Image :wink:

Anything I ever had wrecked, I ended up putting in a box, then CANNIBALIZING for parts, even rehabbing entire cars from pieces! The job you did on the smashup was impressive, it MUST have occured in MONTMAGNY!! I never had any intention of having junked stuff out, but I have to tell you..... I purchased one heavy ROCO wrecking crane, other people gave me the Bachmann one --- I have a total of FOUR CRANES. Do you think people are trying to tell me something about my trains>?????

D?
Haha, thanks Dieter...I assure you I haven't gone quite completely crazy yet, but, we'll see... I've just always had a fascination with wrecked equipment in the real world, so I figured it would make perfect sense to model it. I never had the intention though of hacking up perfectly good stuff, rather I was planning on getting some discount-bin sort of stuff, where the lack of details would be sensible, considering most of them would have been destroyed in the wreck!

Had this loco been truly wrecked, I was set to either heavily kitbash or cannibalize it for parts. However, true to the real railroads, I figured it wasn't a complete write-off, so it might as well get patched.

It's funny too, how many people have a wrecking crane or two, but never any use for them :P
  by Dieter

timberley wrote:...........rather I was planning on getting some discount-bin sort of stuff, where the lack of details would be sensible.........
In this economy, it's getting harder and harder to find the cheapo bin anymore. I'd recommend Model Power for your desires, but the pricing on their dinky locomotives has recently gone off the charts..

And you're right, there's NOTHING like Canadian Railways, especially east of Montreal.

D/