• Layout Height

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by jdl56

What do you consider to be the ideal layout height? Above is an eye-level photo of how I see trains on the upper level of my CP RAil M & M Sub. (I'm 5 "10) Half of the upper level is 65 1/2 inches high, and the rest is 62 1/2 inches.

I've posted some photos of what my layout looks like compared to me, along with some thoughts on how one arrives at various heights, on my blog at http://cprailmmsub.blogspot.com/2010/02 ... -were.html

John Longhurst, Winnipeg
  by Otto Vondrak

Interesting question!

I always heard 48" was a good average height. But here's the question, do you want to build the height of your layout to be easy to view or easy to access and work on? I think ideally, I would like to view a railroad that is at my chest height. We get tired of the "helicopter" view of our layouts, and we don't want to bend down to get that "eye-level" perspective... But here's some other things to consider... I'm 6'6". So what's a comfortable chest height for me may be over someone else's head (literally)! So do I build a railroad convenient for me and buy stools for my guests, or do I find some sort of compromise?

-otto-
  by Cadet57

i'm 5'9", my layout is waist height. I've never liked shelf layouts. Not knocking yours of corse, because what works for you or I does not for for another person.
  by trainguy2024

Chest height (my layout is 48" to the top of the plywood) Just make sure that you can reach every area of your layout. Arms length is a good measurement. If you go past that you might get into some trouble areas in the event of a derailment. Also you might want to visit some home layouts to see how they built them. Right now I have plywood and homosote central but plan everything out carefully. Hope that helps.
  by roadster

I personally went with 45". While slightly lower than the recommended 48", I can easily reach anywhere to perform work on the layout or switching. When I just wanna see em run. I can easily sit on an office chair and get the nice eye level view. As Cadet57 mentioned, what works for me, may not work for you, and so on. You seem pleased with your operations at that height so, enjoy. Keep a couple extra stools handy.
  by Otto Vondrak

I was just speaking hypothetically, I'm not actually building a layout right now... but I'd probably go for something that is between hip-height and chest-height... Unless I was to engineer some sort of "step" into the design for any visitors to use.

I've also seen that some people use a "roll-around" method that allows everyone to work at chest height while seated in a roll-around chair. The downside? You need some generous aisle spaces to make this work.

-otto-
  by Dieter

I was 5'10" before shrinkage and poor posture. My deck level ended up being 48-3/4" I made the legs for the benchwork four feet, add 1/4" for plywood and then 1/2" on top of that of Homasote. This height achieves two things;

1) It provides a "Forced Perspective" where you can see things better and scale thingys look LARGER.

2) It keeps little fingers away from your trains and structures.

Cats can still make the leap.

D/
  by 3rdrail

I've gone with 43" for my main (upper) level and 31" for my lower level. My upper level has an elevated station, platform, trestles, and for the lower - that's where my city scenes are (including a homicide crime scene, fire hydrant opened by the kids, working prostitutes, and missionary nuns trying to convert the corrupted.) I like the heights, as for visitors it's almost like a "Where's Waldo" in finding my many "goings on" in my town. You have to search to find them. (sort of like the real thing !) Where most of the train action is - at the 43" table height, I can get a good view standing or sitting in my leather chair viewing the action. I think that it really amounts to your personal taste and whether or not it is primarily adult or kiddos (or mixed) involvement. Mine seems to work well for both, but having said that, I still keep to foot stool handy for flipping the points on my balky K-Line switch ! I have always run "O" scale, however most likely if I was into "HO", I'd be adding @ 6" to my heights. My Basenji "Nubi" likes to watch the trains go by from the chair also - but they're just a little too high to snatch every time that they make the pass, otherwise I'd be chasing him around the house with a 1955 Lionel classic in his mouth !
  by jmp883

My current layout is at 44" and I've never had any real issues with the layout being at that height. Since I'm in the process of converting my locomotive fleet to DCC I'm also considering scrapping this layout and starting over with a totally new layout. Whether I build a brand-new layout, or keep the current one, I'd like to raise it an extra 4" to so that it's a full 4' high. We'll see..............
  by GOLDEN-ARM

i always built the layout at a height that was easy to work on. for operating, a rolling chair, adjustable in height (like an office chair) answers the POV question. I can be eye level, slightly higher, or just stand, if the need arises. i prefer to run while seated anyways, unless it's an MU or maybe a RDC...... :-D
  by CNJ999

My layout is set at 42" to the top of the rails. Since it is up to 30" deep and I have mostly highly detailed my scenes (telephone wires, dense urban scenery with building's of widely varying heights, billboards atop some of these, etc.), I wanted to be sure that I could reach the rear of the layout scenes for maintanence with good clearance and without fear of an elbow making contact with any of the scenicked elements. Neither did I wish to have to employ a step stool, or other device, to accompish this. Thus, at 5'8", this was my best choice for layout height.

CNJ999
  by Dieter

Given your deck height and personal height, I'm impressed you can reach thirty inches to the rear without a hatch. I'm assuming your benchwork is heavy enough and you've allowed for a wide roadway here and there to have a solid place to lean on?

One of the mailorder catalogues had an interesting device for "The Long Reach"; It's a step ladder with exceptionally long feet protruding forward, on lockable wheels. This odd looking ladder has an adjustable platform at the top that you can virtually lie down on your stomach, while you work on the hinterlands of the layout. The feet support your forward leaning weight, it doesn't appear to be "Tipable" and it wasn't that expensive.

D/