Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by Aa3rt

Could anyone help me find the date of the last passenger train through Mayville, NY? Mayville, the county seat of Chautauqua County, NY, had a lovely brick depot which still stands and serves as a historical museum. At one time, steamboats plying Chautauqua Lake met the PRR's passenger trains. Mayville would have been on the Oil City-Buffalo line.

PRR trains had trackage rights over the Nickel Plate from Brocton to Buffalo.

Anyhow, I recently came into possession of a photo that is supposedly of the last passenger train through Mayville. I was able to locate a date on June 9, 1953 for the last passenger run from Oil City to Corry, PA in "Western New York & Pennsylvania Railway" by Pietrak, Streamer and Van Brocklin but the Corry-Buffalo portion of the line, which would have included Mayville, is not mentioned.
  by timz

In the 8/46 Guide it's an overnight train with a sleeper; in the 6/48 the sleeper is gone; in the 7/50 Guide the train is gone.

The library probably has a 1949 Guide-- if no one else does better I'll check it eventually.
  by Aa3rt

Gentlemen, Thanks very much for the replies! I appreciate your efforts. This was a rather roundabout route for traveling between Pittsburgh and Buffalo which most likely explains the early termination date of passenger service on the line.