• Keating Summit question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SST

Having finally plotted the little town of Keating Summit on my chart [SE of Bradford,pa],I was hoping someone could shed some light into when I might catch some action.

The way the weather is going I'll likely drive down before flying down. Having read various posts on the NY posts, I figured I'd start here first.

Thanks
  by EMTRailfan

SST wrote:Having finally plotted the little town of Keating Summit on my chart [SE of Bradford,pa],I was hoping someone could shed some light into when I might catch some action.

The way the weather is going I'll likely drive down before flying down. Having read various posts on the NY posts, I figured I'd start here first.

Thanks
I can't help you, but you may have better luck in the LAL/WNYP thread in the short lines/regionals.
  by thebigham

Be on the lookout for the old wye where PRR pusher engines were turned.

The Buffalo & Susquehanna interchanged with the PRR here. A switchback is just out of town. I've hiked it.

The remains of the Potato Creek RR can also be seen north of Keating Summit. An old bridge abutment where railroad went over the PRR still stands.

This thread should probably go in the Pennsylvania forum.
  by Conrail4evr

The only thing on this stretch is the occasional WNY&P local to the B&P interchange in Driftwood.
  by SST

Well, I was going to post it on the PA forum which I might still do. But keating summit has been discussed on this forum over a period of time so that's why I started here first.

With the new storm systems racing across the USA, it'll be a while before I get there regardless of mode of transportation.

Thanks for the info. I will get there....probably spring.
  by lakeshoredave

unfortunately this route isn't really used that much anymore. back in the cr days, you could chase a train like BUEN or an ML train down there, meet its counterpart and make a good day of it. i know doug harrop did that in a railfan and railroad article he did years ago.