Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1408691  by BuddR32

Is the new platform F supposed to go just south of the current platforms where they cleared and realigned the track?
I don't see how an eight car platform will fit here, especially with the new signal case added at the west end.
Any ideas?
 #1408949  by bellstbarn

That spot would seem to give a long hike from a train arriving on tracks 1, 2, or 3. What a degradation of across-the-platform transfers!
 #1408968  by Head-end View

I agree. Seems like the Brooklyn customers are getting a raw deal here. Changing from the current cross-platform transfer (like it should be) to walking up-and-over as if going to the Air-Train. That is not my idea of maintaining or improving service.......... Why not have the Brooklyn trains use Tracks 4-5 if they can't use tracks 3-6 anymore due to the East Side Access trains needing tracks.
 #1409388  by flexliner

from my memory from years ago going east the brooklyn train to east used 6 the penn train to east used 7 both sides open and the diesel used 8
and going west it was 1 for penn or hpoint or LIC or diesel dropoff 2 for penn both sides open 3 for FBA
instead of making the FBA transfers trek why not use 4 and 5 as suggested for FBA or even better for the diesels

keep 1 for GCT 2 for penn 3 for FBA
and going eas 6 for FBA 7 for penn and 8 for GCT

and maybe use outer tracks if there are such and can be aligned correctly for trains bypassing Jamacia
 #1409468  by MADDOG

Head-end View wrote:I agree. Seems like the Brooklyn customers are getting a raw deal here. Changing from the current cross-platform transfer (like it should be) to walking up-and-over as if going to the Air-Train. That is not my idea of maintaining or improving service.......... Why not have the Brooklyn trains use Tracks 4-5 if they can't use tracks 3-6 anymore due to the East Side Access trains needing tracks.
And let us not forget, if one is arriving on the West end of platform 1, they will have to walk back to the east end to get back up an escalator or elevator if they have heavy luggage.
The LIRR IS NOT planning on adding anything on the West end.
MADDOG
 #1409486  by Head-end View

Flexliner, your memory is correct and that's pretty much how it still works. I think the Master Plan is to have the current trains that go to Penn and Atlantic Term. split between Penn and Grand Central. That might be why they're converting the Brooklyn service to a shuttle. That sort of makes sense but will be horribly inconvenient for the Brooklyn passengers.
 #1409636  by flexliner

Head End,
thanks. glad to know the dementia has not yet kicked in :wink:
but even with split service why not use the main tracks for the main city services
and have the "less common" ie diesel drop off or pickup use 4 and 5 or if really really crowded then the new platform F

statistically i am guessing that there are far more opportunities for cross platform transfers between trains on electric lines (ie penn GCT and Brooklyn which as i recall is used a lot by folks in lower manhattan) than there are for cross platform transfers for a smaller number of diesel runs

i think (my opinion only) that by keeping say 1 GCT 2 Penn 3 FBA and the few diesels on 4-5
far fewer people would be inconvenienced by an up and over trek than would be if all FBA is over on platform F

and even with ESA - can it be that there are absolutely zero trains that could not run thru to FBA at least in rush hours??
in non rush they could have the FBA shuttles leave from 3
and if there was a diesel connection - maybe there would be room for that behind the FBA shuttle on 3
(in non rush or weekends are not many trains shorter? so like at huntington maybe two trains could use 3)
just my rambling thoughts......
 #1409840  by BuddR32

onorclose7 wrote:It will go between 11 track & Johnson Avenue yard, just west of the airtrain building
Thanks, so not quite where I was thinking.
 #1409904  by Head-end View

Onorclose7, I still can't hardly believe they're going to do this to the Brooklyn passengers after they've had a convenient cross-platform transfer for the last hundred years. What are they thinkin' (or smokin')
 #1415540  by bellstbarn

The bumper accident that happened on Track 6, Flatbush Avenue, 1.4.2017 has me wondering whether the unfortunate Shuttle Plan will lead to closure of platforms and tracks at Flatbush Avenue. Will the terminal be reduced to two tracks or one? I fear that the Jamaica Platform F scheme is for a single track at that platform, reducing flexibility even more.
 #1415587  by Kelly&Kelly

From time to time there has been discussion of having the newly-configured Atlantic Branch operated by the Transit Authority. The resultant labor cost savings is the impetus of this reconfiguration and rescheduling. The ever-changing political and labor trends will have the final word on this proposal.
 #1415701  by BuddR32

Kelly&Kelly wrote:From time to time there has been discussion of having the newly-configured Atlantic Branch operated by the Transit Authority. The resultant labor cost savings is the impetus of this reconfiguration and rescheduling. The ever-changing political and labor trends will have the final word on this proposal.
Like exclusions from PTC? Although the deadline will be long before this service change.