• Is this switch seen on railroads ?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by sleepermonster

This is a series of tandem turnouts distorted by a telephoto lens. To save space, the switch of the second turnout is between the switch and the crossing (frog) of the first, so you need the extra frog to pass the inside curved rail of the second turnout across the inside straight of the first. If you think that looks wierd you should see one in english 95lb bulhead rail, unfortunately I don't have a photograph.

Tim
  by 3rdrail

Wanted to bring this thread back to life, so I thought that I would do a little CPR with a photo which was just sent me from RRPictureArchives.net. It shows a flangeless CSX/SEPTA crossling in Philadelphia in the Darby section on Main St. at the CSX crossing. CSX is dominant, SEPTA is submissive/flangeless. I have put this on my list to go visit as I would love to watch (and hear !!!) a streetcar rumble over these !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by toolmaker

scharnhorst wrote:In this little film they use switches that only have 1 point that moves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du-n0E3i ... plpp_video
There was so much to enjoy in addition to the foot toss action for the switch. That narrow gage rotary dumper was neat.
  by scharnhorst

I wonder if any switches like the one in the video there are used in real rail operations or in yards anyplace?
  by toolmaker

scharnhorst wrote:I wonder if any switches like the one in the video there are used in real rail operations or in yards anyplace?
It reminded me of narrow gage operations at peat bogs in Ireland. I visited the Clonmacnoise and West Offaly Railway when I lived there in 1992 and can't recall seeing switch stands in use. My internet search indicates they stopped operating in 2008.
  by 3rdrail

That was a terrific video ! Thank you for bringing it to us, sharnhorst ! Amazing how such a simple switch gets the job done. I particularly enjoyed the adept handling by these women of the rail cars - righting them correctly on rails in one try using just sticks, etc. I wonder if those straw hats are OSHA approved ? :-)
  by scharnhorst

I came across the video by accident on youtube just to let ya know. It is vary interesting to say the most part. From what I can gather most of them little lines are no longer in operation as we speak.