• Is there an existing tunnel structure to support this sub?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by phila_via_nyc

a subway that runs from S. Columbus to W. Girard Ave.? Here are my proposed stops. I went to maps.yahoo for a street guideline.

Starting from S. Columbus Blvd., and Washington Ave.

Going West on Washington ave.

Departs from S. Columbus Blvd.

1- S. 5th st
2- 8th st-Italian Market
3- Broad St (transfer to Orange line)
4- S. 22nd St.

From S. 22nd st it would run north along 22nd st.

5- South st.
6- Walnut st
7- Market St (transfer to Frankford line)
8- N 22nd St- Ben Franklin Museum
9- Kelly Drive-Fairmont Park
10- Fairmont Ave- Philadelphia Zoo
11- express to Lancaster Ave. (along fairmont)
12 N 44th st (traveling NW along Lancaster ave)
13 W. Girard Ave. (traveling along N 44st st)
  by Umblehoon

Kind of a random route, if you ask me. There are no existing tunnel structures to support that, and your connection with the MFL would have to be built from scratch (there is no station for the MFL at 22nd St). It starts nowhere, ends nowhere, and goes on a route that is pretty well covered via other means. The new areas being served would surely welcome it (I am a big proponent of a better stop for the Parkway than Suburban Station) but there are better ways to provide service to some of those areas, IMUO.

phila_via_nyc wrote:a subway that runs from S. Columbus to W. Girard Ave.? Here are my proposed stops. I went to maps.yahoo for a street guideline.

Starting from S. Columbus Blvd., and Washington Ave.

Going West on Washington ave.

Departs from S. Columbus Blvd.

1- S. 5th st
2- 8th st-Italian Market
3- Broad St (transfer to Orange line)
4- S. 22nd St.

From S. 22nd st it would run north along 22nd st.

5- South st.
6- Walnut st
7- Market St (transfer to Frankford line)
8- N 22nd St- Ben Franklin Museum
9- Kelly Drive-Fairmont Park
10- Fairmont Ave- Philadelphia Zoo
11- express to Lancaster Ave. (along fairmont)
12 N 44th st (traveling NW along Lancaster ave)
13 W. Girard Ave. (traveling along N 44st st)

by tinmad dog

Its kind of a random route that contains portions of routes that have been suggested in other threads.

Rather than going to West Philly, it might be better to keep going north up 22nd, and then joining everyones favortite fantasy route, a subway-fied chestnut hill west line.

Oh and I highly recommend maps.google which has great detail and color satellite imagery. Only problem is they constantly label Reading lines as "Penn Central"

by Umblehoon

tinmad dog wrote:Rather than going to West Philly, it might be better to keep going north up 22nd, and then joining everyones favortite fantasy route, a subway-fied chestnut hill west line.
I wasn't going to say it, I've inserted such a suggestion into too many threads :wink: