• Is the Neighborhood Safe where the Riverhead Station is?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by njtmnrrbuff

Hey,
On Friday, I might be doing some railfanning along the Greenport Branch. I may end up in Riverhead. How safe is the neighborhood near the station, especially during the daytime?
  by MACTRAXX

Buff:

The area around Riverhead Station is fine during the daytime. The Suffolk County Courthouse
is one short block away...Are you driving or taking the LIRR or Suffolk Transit bus there?

RMLI's Riverhead facility is right adjacent to the Station - if at all possible you could arrange
to visit if anyone from RMLI is available - there are RMLI members that post on this forum...

I would suggest a side trip to Main Street and/or a visit to Pulaski Street/Polish Town nearby.
There are interesting places to visit in both areas which are within walking distance of the Rail.

If you can you can ride the Scoot to Greenport at 11:26 AM arriving there at 12:06 PM.
The return train leaves Greenport at 12:42 PM and gets back to Riverhead at 1:21 PM.
The fare is $3 one way or $6 round trip for a 21 mile OW or 42 miles total round trip.
Since there is no TVMs at either location - both are "Exception" stations - there is no
onboard penalty fare charged. It is a nice ride if you can take the trip...

Friday is usually the day that the Greenport Scoot equipment gets swapped out - I believe that
this occurs in the late afternoon unfortunately after dark if you remain in Riverhead - I think
that you would have to go to Ronkonkoma to see the second set - at least that was the case
of the current schedule prior to October 7th. Perhaps someone has an idea how the equipment
is currently changed over - it is deadheaded east from Jamaica...I will add that the change to
Standard Time on 11/6 does affect the hours of daylight to trainspot now as compared to what
was under Daylight Saving Time - and the Greenport Scoot schedule 10/7 and beforehand...

MACTRAXX
  by njtmnrrbuff

I would be taking public transportation. I would take SCT 92 bus from Greenport to Riverhead, and then the train that departs Riverhead at 3:50 something. I am not planning on staying there at dark.
  by MACTRAXX

Buff:

Can you be more specific about your plan for next Friday?

You plan on taking the S92 from Greenport to Riverhead and you are taking the train west to Ronkonkoma from Riverhead - the scoot arrives at Riverhead at 3:27 and leaves at 3:58 PM. The connection is train#2061 leaving Ronkonkoma at 4:48 which is a partial express stopping at Central Islip, Deer Park, Farmingdale, Bethpage, Hicksville, Mineola and the Hillside Facility going towards Jamaica. Ronkonkoma would not be a good stop over since the next westbound train leaves at 7:13 PM which is more then two hours later and for that matter well after dark.

How are you getting out east? Are you arriving by way of the New London-Orient Point Ferry? The ST S92 bus originates at the Ferry terminal - see http://www.sct-bus.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for Suffolk Transit bus information. Another ride that you can take by purchasing a ST bus transfer is to ride the S62 bus from the Riverhead RR Station (where the S92 also stops) to Port Jefferson to ride a west-bound train from there (1:10, 2:36-change at Huntington; 4:06 PM through to Jamaica) which could be another option if you choose. Both the S92 and S62 are interesting bus routes that show an interesting cross section of Suffolk County which is both suburban and rural areas.

This should help plan your trip to some extent - post back with a trip report (and photos) when you can. Friday is a good day of the week to make this trip in the Fall Season...

MACTRAXX
  by njtmnrrbuff

First, I am going to take the train to Greenport. Yes, from Greenport to Riverhead, I will be taking the S92 and then the train that departs Riverhead at 3:58.
  by MACTRAXX

Buff:

From your post you will be taking train #2012 leaving Penn Station to Ronkonkoma at 9:14 AM. That connects with the Greenport Scoot I previously mentioned that arrives there at 12:06 PM. Ride in the first two open cars of this train - the Scoot is usually up ahead of the connecting train on the same track at Ronkonkoma. Maybe you luck out getting M3s and a head end view.

Taking the S92 between Greenport and Riverhead gives you more flexibility instead of having to take the train to Riverhead at 12:42 PM. At the Station there is RMLI's Greenport facility in the freight building just west of the platform and the Station itself has the Maritime Museum there.
Greenport to me is a New England-style fishing village and is very walkable from the Rail.

I am familiar with this type of itinerary since I have rode the Scoot and S92 bus myself in the past.

Before the last fare increase the LIRR allowed the little-known option of a stop over provided that one notified the crew member of intention before the ticket was punched or collected. This was over and above transfer points such as Jamaica or Ronkonkoma where a stop can
be made legally to change trains. You could have stopped over in Riverhead between 1:21 and 3:58 PM - this now requires a separate same zone fare of $3 for this option.

Riverhead and Greenport are both in Zone 14: $20.50 off peak one way from Penn Station prepaid.

This information should assist your plans - enjoy your trip!

MACTRAXX
  by nyandw

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Hey, On Friday, I might be doing some railfanning along the Greenport Branch. I may end up in Riverhead. How safe is the neighborhood near the station, especially during the daytime?
Here you go:http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/greenp ... enport.htm for a bit of info.

http://www.greenportvillage.com/ Greenpoint Village webpage
http://www.rmli.org/RMLI/Welcome.html Railroad Museum