• Is it time to get the T out of the Commuter Rail Business?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Noel Weaver

I personally think that Massachusetts would be better off if they assumed
their own operation of the Boston commuter services.
To me hiring a company to do it is just one more level of bureaucrats to
have to deal with.
There is already an agency in place to handle this commuter operation
and they might as well use it.
Noel Weaver

by octr202

Noel Weaver wrote:I personally think that Massachusetts would be better off if they assumed
their own operation of the Boston commuter services.
To me hiring a company to do it is just one more level of bureaucrats to
have to deal with.
There is already an agency in place to handle this commuter operation
and they might as well use it.
Noel Weaver
That's what I've always thought too. Its not like the MBTA's railroad is a small operation like MARC, VRE, or Tri-Rail. The T's system is (ballpark) equal with SEPTA (not that that's a role model to follow), and has to be comparable or even bigger than the direct-operated portions of Metra. A VRE can take advantage of economies of scale on operations by contracting with Amtrak for expample, as VRE is too small to justify its own opereations management, crew roster, shops, etc. But, MBCR and the MBTA already possess/provide these for the T here.

I imagine that when B&M/Guilford and Amtrak wre operators, the "operations economies of scale" were a reality. But, with MBCR now a stand-alone company formed for one sole contract, this wouldn't seem to be the case. The only other argument is that a private company can provide better service than a public agency, but from what I've always read, Metra and MetroNorth seem to do pretty well in customer satisfaction, and they're public operations.

by RailBus63

Wow ... I'm shocked that so many people actually think that the MBTA could run the commuter rail system more efficiently in-house. Based on what? The stellar job they do today running subway and bus services?

Ask yourself this - who does a better job running their portion of the ex-Eastern Mass. bus system:

- MBTA (Quincy and Lynn divisions) - bus operating expense per vehicle revenue hour - $94.76 (systemwide)
- Brockton Area Transit - operating expense per vehicle revenue hour - $67.23
- Merrimac Valley Regional Transit Authority - operating expense per vehicle revenue hour - $63.57
- Lowell Regional Transit Authority - operating expense per vehicle revenue hour - $58.81

Is the MBTA the most efficient for both riders and taxpayers? Is it more responsive to its customers than BAT, MVRTA and LRTA?

The issue of the MBTA's focus on downtown Boston versus the outer suburban areas is certainly worthy of discussion. For what it's worth, I would consider making the MBTA responsible for the subway and commuter rail systems and the bus routes in the immediate core area around Boston (roughly the BERy/MTA 14 cities and towns, but not exactly), and create regional transportation agencies for the South Shore, North Shore, North West (roughly Waltham to Reading) and Metro West. 'Transportation' is the key word, for in addition to contracting for local bus services (which the MBTA unionized bus drivers would be allowed to bid on), they would be responsible for taking a bigger picture approach to transportation issues around the key suburban office corridors of Route 128 and Route 495 and other highways. A coordinated approach like this is at least 30 years overdue, and certainly cannot be entrusted to the current MBTA/state bureacracy.

JD

by Ron Newman

MBTA runs many of its bus routes 7 days a week, 18 hours a day. I don't think any of the other agencies you cite do that; in fact, some of them barely run 5 days a week, 10 hours a day.

by mb41

What I find interesting is that those companies mentioned, MVTA & LRTA don't run any sunday service, Biddeford/Saco Maine does. Also their senior fare is 50 cents, wow... why do MBTA seniors cry about 25 cents, and you have to pay for transfers in Lowell... wow, MBTA gives them out free, and the T fare is cheaper than Lowell..amazing.

by dudeursistershot

How would increasing the number of hours per day make it cost more per hour? anyone? Actually, it would DECREASE the cost because they would be using the same number of buses for more hours, which would dilute the capital/maintenance costs of the buses.

On Sunday I would assume they pay more, but not a LOT more, and it would not increase the operating costs by even an eighth of the difference between the various figures.

The MBTA, in theory, should be more efficient and cost less because of economies of scale. But under the same theory, a communist government would cost less for the same reasons. It just doesn't work in practice.

Stop defending awful, corrupt, inefficient, bloated bureaucracies.

by Ron Newman

What I mean is that the T runs many bus routes at times when ridership is fairly low, as a necessary public service. That increases cost per passenger mile (fewer fares paid per mile travelled). The outlying agencies don't do this.

Anyway, this has become a bus discussion, and really should move over to the bus thread.

by mb41

The night owl was costing $7.53 per rider, thus closing the lines.

by Robert Paniagua

I feel the MBTA should be able to run its commuter rail division and let MBCR go, but if they are happy with MBCR, then that's fine with me.

by mb41

One of Seashore's volunteers works as an commuter rail electrician and he claims MCBR is not very good.

by Robert Paniagua

Oh then the MBTA should get rid of MBCR and just run it's commuter rail, I don't know what it takes to get MBTA to totally run it's commuter rail division but they should be able to do it.

by Otto Vondrak

I hadn't considered that MTA operates commuter rail through its subsidiaries MTA Long Island Rail Road and MTA Metro-North Railroad... MTA also has subsidiaries MTA Bus, MTA Long Island Bus, MTA Subway, MTA Bridges & Tunnels, MTA Staten Island Railway, etc. etc.... but more or less all MTA to New York folks.

NJ Transit seems to make no difference between riding an NJT bus, train, or light rail except when it comes to ticketing. SEPTA does not seem to make any distinctions either. I dont know how those authorites are set up.

Regardless, it seems that MBTA might have more accountability for its service if they considered creating their own commuter rail subsidiary and operated the trains directly. Think in terms of quality control, especially if you can eliminate yet another subcontractor.

-otto-

by Robert Paniagua

Regardless, it seems that MBTA might have more accountability for its service if they considered creating their own commuter rail subsidiary and operated the trains directly. Think in terms of quality control, especially if you can eliminate yet another subcontractor.

Otto,

I'm totally down with you in this one, just like your hometown NYMTA, which runs MNRR, LIRR and NYCTA, the MBTA ought to run it's commuter rail division without any outside vendor, it'll make things better for the CR.

by RailBus63

Done right, it could become a thoroughly professional operation like MTA Metro North.

Done wrong, and it will likely become a tempting haven for political patronage like the rest of the MBTA.

JD

by dudeursistershot

Robert Paniagua wrote:Regardless, it seems that MBTA might have more accountability for its service if they considered creating their own commuter rail subsidiary and operated the trains directly. Think in terms of quality control, especially if you can eliminate yet another subcontractor.

Otto,

I'm totally down with you in this one, just like your hometown NYMTA, which runs MNRR, LIRR and NYCTA, the MBTA ought to run it's commuter rail division without any outside vendor, it'll make things better for the CR.
This seems completely insane to me. What you're basically saying is that since MBCR does such a bad job and the MBTA does such a good one, we should put MBCR under MBTA control. The problem arises when the facts come in and you see that the MBTA is grossly incompetent, inefficient, and bureaucratic. And then when you take a look at MBCR, and the fact that you can set your watches to MBCR trains nearly all the time.

Quality control? How does more bureaucracy and inefficiency help quality control? Currently, the MBCR operates with a 93% on-time rating. Can you say the same of any bus route or, for that matter, any division of the T?