• Irresponsible photographer

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BR&P

The things you see when you don't have a camera!

Pulling out from an industrial spur yesterday I saw what appeared to be a jogger running up the lead. It turned out to be a photographer (I won't use the term "railfan") trying to get ahead for a better shot. He crossed from one side of the tracks to the other a couple times. When we stopped for an air test, he took a few shots, then took off running - SPRINTING is a better term - down the main track ahead of us. He ran alongside the track a way, then jumped over and ran BETWEEN THE RAILS OF THE MAIN TRACK - and we were moving by this time! The guy went several hundred yards to a crossing, finally got clear of the tracks, and shot some more photos as we went by. By the way, the guy was wearing shorts and sneakers - hardly acceptable attire for railroad property.

But that's not all. After seeing the guy a few more times in route, we approached one crossing and here he was. As we got closer, admittedly still at a distance, he went over to the rails and appeared to place a penny or rock on the tracks. On this particular line I was just filling in for a day because they were in a bind. Had it been on a line where I had authority, I absolutely would have called the cops and had him arrested.

So next time you go someplace and are turned down for permission to take photos, or some train crew hollers "FRN" or some similar insult, you'll know who to thank - guys like this one. His type is fortunately in the minority but it only takes one to ruin it for all.
  by Otto Vondrak

Don't you carry a BB gun for situations like this? I would have called the cops on him anyway... was there anything really preventing you from doing so?
BR&P wrote:So next time you go someplace and are turned down for permission to take photos, or some train crew hollers "FRN" or some similar insult, you'll know who to thank - guys like this one. His type is fortunately in the minority but it only takes one to ruin it for all.
I hope everyone out there takes away a serious lesson from this story. We need to be vigilant and police ourselves. Let's all do our best to be safe and maintain welcome relations with the local railroads.

-otto-
  by BR&P

A BB gun would be too inaccurate, and a 30.30 would get you in too much trouble.

Hmmm...tomatoes will soon be in season ;-)
  by CarterB

Even better...a few of the overripe 'recalled' tomatoes!!! (I would have said watermelons, but they're too good to waste!!)
  by ricebrianrice

I have this image of a guy so focused on taking a picture that he has no idea a tomato is flying through the air at him, and just as is ready to press the button, WHAM, tomato all over his brand new camera. :-D Thanks for the good laugh this afternoon.

Brian
  by calaisbranch

Otto Vondrak wrote:Don't you carry a BB gun for situations like this? I would have called the cops on him anyway... was there anything really preventing you from doing so?
BR&P wrote:So next time you go someplace and are turned down for permission to take photos, or some train crew hollers "FRN" or some similar insult, you'll know who to thank - guys like this one. His type is fortunately in the minority but it only takes one to ruin it for all.
I hope everyone out there takes away a serious lesson from this story. We need to be vigilant and police ourselves. Let's all do our best to be safe and maintain welcome relations with the local railroads.

-otto-
Otto,

Unfortunately, the reputation of us railroad photograhers was soiled a LONG time back. I've done my share of "vigilence and policing" while trackside over the years.

Let's see...Called in a Q424 on CSX for locked and smoking handbrakes on four scrap gondolas and got asked, "How did you get this number?" I asked the guy if he wanted to bitch about it or get ahold of the train before it derails from a hot axle. A town away, they set out the four cripples. Yeah, your welcome!

Another time, at East Deerfield Yard, had an RJED come in and derail a couple cars on a switch just east of the rail bridge. One car nearly went over before snapping the air off and throwing the train in emergency. We looked for rail personel for ten minutes before we gave up. Back at the bridge, a rail cop finally shows up. He looks at us wondering whats going on. We point toward the train, and then he asks us if we had seen the then-new GP40-2Ws yet! Go figure. At least the cop was nice to us.

Sometimes, instances like those make you feel like saying "screw off" to crews. Shots like FRN don't phase me. Just means I have a job AND a hobby. The respect should go both ways, but its always awkward just the same.
  by Leo_Ames

What's FRN stand for? What I think it does? :)

Makes me glad I keep a distance, never had any problems, just friendly waves or ignored while they do their job.
  by Otto Vondrak

Leo_Ames wrote:What's FRN stand for? What I think it does? :)
Eh, needless to say, you don't want to be one. What's more, you don't want to be talking to a cop while he fills out an appearance summons with your name on it.

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

calaisbranch wrote:Let's see...Called in a Q424 on CSX for locked and smoking handbrakes on four scrap gondolas...
Not quite the kind of vigilance I meant. I was talking more about keeping your fellow railfan from doing things that will put you or others in harms way. Can't tell you how many times I used to come up on Fairport/359 in the old days to find a father with young child or children PLAYING ON or DANGEROUSLY CLOSE TO THE TRACKS while waiting to see trains! And they always either look at you in disbelief, treat you incredulously, or simply get angry or belligerent... then they leave, and the cops come by to throw you out because they had "reports of people on the tracks."

-otto-
  by BR&P

Leo, re "FRN", it's a particularly offensive type of Railroad Nut. You take it from there.

To correct my typo above, it should have read .30-30, not 30.30

I think in general, most shortlines in this area are pretty railfan-friendly. And most local railfans seem to be responsible and respectful of railroad regulations and property. Unfortunately, there are those clueless few......
  by Howiew

BR&P wrote:

I think in general, most shortlines in this area are pretty railfan-friendly. And most local railfans seem to be responsible and respectful of railroad regulations and property.
And we have an obligation to keep it that way.
  by bwparker1

Howiew wrote:
BR&P wrote:

I think in general, most shortlines in this area are pretty railfan-friendly. And most local railfans seem to be responsible and respectful of railroad regulations and property.
And we have an obligation to keep it that way.
AMEN!
  by Jmark

Rotten tomato may be a bit too squishy..

How about a spike?
  by BR&P

How about a paintball gun??
  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:How about a paintball gun??
Oooh, be careful. Those leave a mark.

Rogue photographers, you have been warned!!

-otto-