• Introduction- and questions about Mohawk Division

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Don R

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this, but I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. I am the grandson of a New York Central engineer who worked the Mohawk Div. for over 40 years. I'm originally from E. Syracuse, NY but now live in Alabama.

My interest in the Central comes from living with it until my grandfather's retirement just prior to the advent of the PC. I have had the honor of riding in the cab of and EMD E-8 both directions on the Mohawk Div. and visiting the DeWitt yards and diesel shops on numerous occasions. I have some memories of the roundhouse that was located at the west end of E. Syracuse.

I have been viewing the archives for this section as well as a number of the others and have enjoyed it very much.

Is there anyone else on the forum familiar with the Mohawk Div. I am especially interested in anyone who may know something about a wreck my grandfather was in someitme in the late forties. His train was switched into the rear end of a stopped freight at, I believe, Fonda, NY. We used to have pictures of the wreck but I haven't been able to locate them since my grandfathers passing.

by Otto Vondrak

Welcome aboard!

-otto-

by mbutte

Indeed, the Mohawk Division is also close to my heart, as my father worked his entire 39-year NYC/PC/Conrail railroad career in the Maintenance of Way/Engineering Department on the Mohawk, for a brief period based out of Albany and then for the rest of his time based out of Utica (where I was born and raised).

My first cab ride also was on the Mohawk Division between Syracuse and Utica on an E-7, heading up the Eastbound Empire State Express in 1964.

I will pose your question on a rear-end collison derailment at Fonda in the late 40's to my father (who is now 86) when I next have the opportunity.

by Don R

Thanks for welcome Otto and Mbutte.

Mbutte, if you get a chance to speak with your father, ask him if he remembers an engineer named Dan Sheldon. That was my grandfather I mentioned in my first post. He spent his whole career on the Mohawk Div.

Thanks