Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Jtgshu

only 1 loco for this trip?

On the Southern Tier, they had 3........

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a loop or something at the end of the branch that would allow the loco to come back down on the head end or did they have another loco up there that coupled to the head end when they came back down?

by Erie-Lackawanna

I'm not sure how many locomotives were assigned to this trip; normally it's two, to allow a run-around move at the end. Given that there's a loop track in Danbury, it's altogether possible that this trip ran with one locomotive.

As for the Port Jervis & Pascack Valley Lines trip, the reason it ran with three locomotives was because of some mechanical issue that caused NJT to add an additional unit that served no purpose whatsoever. The 4191 was wasted on that trip - it was not needed, requested, or wanted.

Actually, I think NJT added it in order to give some of their jealous employees in the NJT forum on RR.net yet more "reason" to bellyache about MNR's inspection train. They hate that we have an inspection train and they don't - and they REALLY hate that ours is made up of equipment built for the DL&W/EL, one of THEIR predecessors. ;-)

I'll be in hiding for the foreseeable future.... ;-)

Jim

by DutchRailnut

The inspection train only had one engine(20( and yes there is a loop in Danbury.

by Jtgshu

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:I'm not sure how many locomotives were assigned to this trip; normally it's two, to allow a run-around move at the end. Given that there's a loop track in Danbury, it's altogether possible that this trip ran with one locomotive.

As for the Port Jervis & Pascack Valley Lines trip, the reason it ran with three locomotives was because of some mechanical issue that caused NJT to add an additional unit that served no purpose whatsoever. The 4191 was wasted on that trip - it was not needed, requested, or wanted.

Actually, I think NJT added it in order to give some of their jealous employees in the NJT forum on RR.net yet more "reason" to bellyache about MNR's inspection train. They hate that we have an inspection train and they don't - and they REALLY hate that ours is made up of equipment built for the DL&W/EL, one of THEIR predecessors. ;-)

I'll be in hiding for the foreseeable future.... ;-)

Jim
Ohhhhhhhhhhh touche, touche

:)

by Trainer

I think we ought to take up a collection for NJT and buy them their own inspection train:

Pedal faster, guys. The Hoboken Express is about 5 minutes behind you....

by Jtgshu

Thats okay fellas - we got a nice and new, state of the art inspection train

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=877752

We don't need no stinkin 60 year old cars :-)

Nor do we need the CNJ (another NJT predecessor) Blue Comet observation car NJT1, which is still technically on the roster, with a MAS of 80mph, is sitting rotting away in Boonton Yard with all the other old stuff...........

by Otto Vondrak

Say goodnight, Gracie.

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

212, 213 and MN 2, MN 3, MN 1 headed east to New Haven, past Stratford around 10:!5 am, will be heading back this afternoon- per JSW.

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

Metro-North Inspection Train just passed South Norwalk, headed north up the Danbury branch. Two Gennies (didn't catch the engine numbers) and MN 1, 2, and 3.

-otto-

by Otto Vondrak

What goes up, must come down. The Inspection Train has just returned from the Danbury Branch, engines 217 and 206 with the three inspection cars, passed through South Norwalk around noon. Engines leading westbound.

-otto-

by Clean Cab

It maybe the start of the Peter Cannito "Farewell Tour"!!!
  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

While driving up Haarlem Avenue at North White Plains, I noticed the cars from the Inspection Train in the North White Plains Yard. They were there yesterday and today (4-19 and 4-20). Anyone know why they're there?

by FL9AC

often the cars will sit in North White Plains yard until they are needed.
  by FL9AC

caught two rebuilt P32AC-DM's 201 (leading) and 204 (trailing) hauling the three inspection cars east through Stamford this morning. Never saw them come back down the line though.

by Clean Cab

The Inspection Train came west through Cos Cob at about 2:15 PM. I saw it crossing Cob Bridge as I was driving to Stamford on good old I-95.