• INFO WANTED ON FREIGHT SCHEDULES/TRAIN TIMES ???

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by nick11a

Does anyone know where I can get the freight schedules for Susie-Q (and anything else running)? I plan on being in Port Jervis sometime within the next week and would it be nice if I can catch a Susie-Q train while I'm there.

Thanks in advance.

by washingtonsecondary

There is no such thing as a freight schedule. Trains run when they run.

by Lackawanna484

When Suskie runs through trains, they'll often leave Little Ferry around 8 pm, which puts them in Port in the early morning hours and over Starucca around dawn, based on info I've received here and elsewhere on the net.

The sightings at Warwick suggest that daylight eastbounds arrive all over the clock, but NYSW trains usually talk with the NS DS before approaching Port Jervis, and with NJT DS once they're on the main at Port.

NJT doesn't like the freights interfering with the commuter trains, so it imposes long windows, esp around the midday in/out train.

by charlie6017

Their scheduled freights are:

SU-99 (combined with CSX Q404)
SU-100 (combined with CSX Q403)
SU-271 (CSX Q271)
SY-1
UT-1

As mentioned, times vary.

I think Susie-Q varies their combinations of trains as they need to, like combining SY-1 w/ the 271 since that goes up the Syracuse branch. Maybe Mr. Hutchinson or Ralph or others can add to this so railfans can know what to look for.

by cjvrr

The only trains you can rely on are the ones leaving Little Ferry. As has been stated they leave anywhere between 6pm and 10pm. It seems to me trains leave Binghamton to come east about that same time.

If you are "planning" to see something in Port Jervis you may or may not get lucky. I would suggest looking at the NYS&W or Susquehanna Yahoo Groups for the most recent train movements. If you see something posted about a train coming east or west you may be able to time things just right.

And has been stated the AM and PM rush hours on NJT/MN will typically postpone any NYS&W train, so then they will sit either west of Port Jervis or south of Hudson Junction waiting for permission from NJT. If you have a RR scanner, it is a valuable asset to have the NS, NJT, and NYS&W channels all programmed in.

Chris

by njt5140

Usually the SU-271's been leaving anywhere between 3 PM and 7 PM, the SU-404 has usually been either in front or behind it. When it comes to the SU-403 it comes down when it feels like lately, and the 156 is back on the River. Word hitting the streets is come Sep. 1st(tomorrow) the 403 and 404 could go back to the River.

by nick11a

washingtonsecondary wrote:There is no such thing as a freight schedule. Trains run when they run.
I should have worded it differently. I was just curious on the tendencies recently of the trains- and I got the info I was basically looking for in here.

Thanks. And part of it (a big part) is indeed luck.

by njt4172

njt5140 wrote:Usually the SU-271's been leaving anywhere between 3 PM and 7 PM, the SU-404 has usually been either in front or behind it. When it comes to the SU-403 it comes down when it feels like lately, and the 156 is back on the River. Word hitting the streets is come Sep. 1st(tomorrow) the 403 and 404 could go back to the River.
Nope, your wrong! As of September 2nd the Q-156 are still coming down Southern Tier/NYSW..... Don't know where you got your sources from!

Steve

by washingtonsecondary

njt4172 wrote:
njt5140 wrote:Usually the SU-271's been leaving anywhere between 3 PM and 7 PM, the SU-404 has usually been either in front or behind it. When it comes to the SU-403 it comes down when it feels like lately, and the 156 is back on the River. Word hitting the streets is come Sep. 1st(tomorrow) the 403 and 404 could go back to the River.
Nope, your wrong! As of September 2nd the Q-156 are still coming down Southern Tier/NYSW..... Don't know where you got your sources from!

Steve
Down Boy!! Down!

by Devil 505

njt4172 wrote:

Steve
Q156 passed through Iona Island at about 17:30 9/3/05 so I would say that it is off the Tier.

by nick11a

Devil 505 wrote:
njt4172 wrote:

Steve
Q156 passed through Iona Island at about 17:30 9/3/05 so I would say that it is off the Tier.
Well, I had half luck today. Just as the train was pulling into Port Jervis, I could see the train holding station near the station. Of course, as we were pulling in, it was beginning to pull out. So, didn't have an oppurtunity to get any shots. Missed it by that much! Drat! Haha. Oh well.....

It was a nice train. Led by CSX 7773 with some bumblebees (including 3012), one of the orange Alcos and a funky looking Geep in dark funky colors. Pretty substantial size.

by njt4172

Devil 505 wrote:
njt4172 wrote:

Steve

Ok, sorry! You were wrong I was right! HOWEVER, as of 11:00 p.m. Monday night Q-268 was enroute out of Binghamton! So things continue to stay interesting!!!!

Steve

by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:Ok, sorry! You were wrong I was right.
I think you got that backwards there Steve. :-D

by njt4172

nick11a wrote:
njt4172 wrote:Ok, sorry! You were wrong I was right.
I think you got that backwards there Steve. :-D
Hehe...Yeah I was a little drunk last night....Yes, I was wrong!

Steve