• inefficiencies figured out

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by LAUNCHman

I was on the subway last week with my friends south of city hall and we couldn't buy tokens because there were no machines in the station and the fare gate watcher was accepting cash only. We would have to buy tokens at the check cashing place up the street.

My friends said it best... what is SEPTA paying employees to do if they can't sit there and sell tokens? Either increase customer service or stop running up the overhead, which is supposed to result in customer service or else it is not justified! In fact, they may be doing a disservice because their useless presence at the faregates upsets observant customers.

The budget problems and propsed hikes and cuts are no surprise to me because there is apparent inefficiency in the system throughout. I carry spare tokens for myself with me because I know how hard it can be to attain them, even at Broad and Olney (past when their teller windows close in the afternoon and on Sundays) but most riders expect to be able to get such necessities, and at the train/bus station too, not at Pathmark or united check cashing. I mean, it would be nice don't you think?

by JeffK

Just one of the hundreds of ways SEPTA makes it easier for its employees and harder for its (ever-dwindling) ridership. See the other threads on how hard it is to find signs and schedules for some other great examples.

And yes, two SEPTA employees have told me off the record that limitations on token sales are intentional, to force more people to pay the 50+%-higher cash fare. See the Community Legal Services suit filed back in the early 1990's if you think I'm coming up with MIB-type conspiracy tales.

BTW, part of the settlement of the CLS suit was that BSS and MFSE cashiers are supposed to accept the token price in cash if no machines are available and sales windows are closed.

by N.Y. State Of Mind

Is it so hard for SEPTA to charge at least $1.75 for a token? That's one one reason why they have a budget problem.

by JeffK

N.Y. State Of Mind wrote:Is it so hard for SEPTA to charge at least $1.75 for a token?
Unfortunately, yes. They're already pricing themselves out of reach of many riders. Remember, wages, the cost of living and other economic factors tend to be lower in Philly than NY.

Also SEPTA's route layout means a lot of riders have to transfer, so they're not just paying for tokens - they have to pay for transfers and zone fares. I know NY does not offer such privileges at all, but you can also ride the subway system to far more locations over far greater distances for that single $2 Metrocard fare. There are many arguments both ways over flat vs. distance-based fare systems and it's not easy to make analogies between the 2 cities.
That's one one reason why they have a budget problem.
Just one of many, many, many reasons. It's far more complicated than simply raising fares.