Railroad Forums 

• Increased NEC Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1640025  by STrRedWolf

Folks are noticing the trainsets in push-pull:

From the video description:
As part of the ongoing effort to increase service on the Northeast Corridor, Amtrak has implemented a new schedule effective 3/4/24 which sees the addition of 4 consists arranged in a push-pull configuration. By placing locomotives (or in the future, an HHPC cab car) on either end of the train, the need to expend time to wye or loop the trainset once it reaches a terminal is eliminated. This allows faster turnaround times (sometimes less than an hour) and greater equipment availability to make revenue service.

<SNIP>

The 4 consist cycles are as follows:

Weekday rotations:
1) 111-182-133-196
2) 181-114-129-198
3) 130-119
4) 112-131

Sunday rotations:
1) 120-105
2) 103-106-107
3) 121-122 (pre-existing cycle)
4) 118-189-128
5)* 108 (option to wye or add motor to 161 upon its arrival in DC)

As previously stated, each of these consists is to be bracketed by a pair of ACS-64s, or have an HHPC cab control unit on one end, with the exception of Sunday 3 (which is already Metroliner Cab + 10 + ACS) and possibly 5 (which could run normally or as a bookend, depending on equipment availability and time constraints.
 #1640013  by Jeff Smith

I would hazard that this is in relation to the implementation of fixed seating, but it warrants an additional topic IMNSHO:

Press Release: Amtrak Media
Amtrak Adds More Service Throughout the Northeast Corridor to Meet Growing Customer Demand

dditional weekday and weekend trains offer more opportunities for travel

WASHINGTON – Amtrak has increased Northeast Regional service to provide additional travel options throughout the East Coast. This includes four additional weekday roundtrips and two new weekend roundtrips between Moynihan Train Hall at New York Penn Station (NYP) and Washington Union Station (WAS), and a new weekday morning departure from William H. Gray III 30th Street Station (PHL) in Philadelphia to NYP. There is also now one new weekend trip between PHL and Boston South Station (BOS). These service changes result in a 20% increase in weekday service and 10% increase on Sundays, which collectively deliver an additional capacity of more than 1 million seats to the Northeast Regional.

“More people are taking the train than ever before and we’re proud to offer our customers additional travel options when they ride with us on the Northeast Regional,” said Amtrak Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer Eliot Hamlisch. “The Northeast Regional gets you where you want to go comfortably, conveniently and sustainably as you breeze past traffic on I-95 for a more enjoyable travel experience.”

These new schedules drive Amtrak’s ambitious goal of doubling annual ridership to 66 million by Fiscal Year (FY) 2040. Momentum has already begun with FY23 4th Quarter NEC ridership achieving 8% above pre-pandemic levels and Northeast Regional ridership having nearly 9.2 million customers in all of FY23 – growing more than 29% compared to FY22.

Northeast Regional offers relaxing and affordable downtown-to-downtown service throughout the NEC. Customers can also enjoy enhanced travel in Business Class, which includes extra legroom, a complimentary non-alcoholic beverage, and assigned seats for a more seamless boarding experience. Additionally, Business class customers receive a 25% bonus on Amtrak Guest Rewards points.

Adding service on the NEC also helps with Amtrak’s sustainability goals to Achieve Net Zero Greenhouse Gas Emissions by 2045. Traveling with Amtrak on the NEC produces 83% less emissions than driving and up to 73% less than flying. All customers are provided with their trip-specific carbon emissions savings on their ticket.

Tickets are now available for the added service via Amtrak.com, the Amtrak app, and through 1-800-USA-RAIL. Customers can book now with Amtrak’s new, more affordable, Flex fares and make changes without a fee (difference in fare may apply).
 #1640027  by nomis

Mod Note: worked a little magic to copy over STrRedWolf's post with train numbers / equipment rotations from the other thread.
 #1640056  by TheOneKEA

I'm curious to know if both ACS-64s are providing traction power for the train, or if the leading loco is the only one providing traction and the trailing loco is providing HEP or is "idle". Two ACS-64s is 17,200 hp, which seems like hilarious overkill for Keystone trains and slightly excessive for any Regional train that is 7 cars or less. I haven't seen a "top and tail" Regional on the NEC towards Washington recently so I haven't been able to listen for traction sounds from a trailing ACS-64 yet.
 #1640058  by west point

the video of the stopped train sounded like both Sprinters were working leaving the station.
Last edited by west point on Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1640059  by lensovet

TheOneKEA wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:06 pm I'm curious to know if both ACS-64s are providing traction power for the train, or if the leading loco is the only one providing traction and the trailing loco is providing HEP or is "idle". Two ACS-64s is 17,200 hp, which seems like hilarious overkill for Keystone trains and slightly excessive for any Regional train that is 7 cars or less. I haven't seen a "top and tail" Regional on the NEC towards Washington recently so I haven't been able to listen for traction sounds from a trailing ACS-64 yet.
Keystones have run in push-pull configuration for years. Sometimes that's accomplished with a Metroliner cab car and sometimes it's done with a second ACS-64.

The only change here is for Regional service.
 #1640124  by Greg Moore

Trains Magazine has an article on the increased service (but admit don't have all the details yet)

That said, it's actually refreshing to see not just an upgrade in service, but a noticeable one!

Now, it would be nice if the Empire Service could add a trip or two. For example there's still a gap between 8:25 and 10:05 AM that would be nice to fill, and another between 1:05 PM and 3:11 PM from ALB-NYP.
 #1640392  by Railjunkie

Greg Moore wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:03 pm Trains Magazine has an article on the increased service (but admit don't have all the details yet)

That said, it's actually refreshing to see not just an upgrade in service, but a noticeable one!

Now, it would be nice if the Empire Service could add a trip or two. For example there's still a gap between 8:25 and 10:05 AM that would be nice to fill, and another between 1:05 PM and 3:11 PM from ALB-NYP.
The current Empire schedule is close to what it was before COVID all the trains and turns have returned. Ohh but wait don't get use to it. There will be some sort of schedule modification coming up in late summer due to a 18 month to 2 year project in Penn. I keep hearing a 25% loss of trains possibly, which would equal three round trips. Or the possibility of two round trips into GCT, interesting except I'm not sure how many people are still qualified. This would keep the current service as is. This is of course if Amtrak can come up with enough equipment to turn all Empire trains between ALB/NYP into push pull.

I haven't even touched on the Montreal service this summer, going at night? only as far as Saratoga? Plattsburg possibly? IDK???? Central warehouse demolition???? The replacement of possibly three bridges on Tivoli Bay, that will shut the railroad down for about three days ish. Welded rail train in Rennselaer. I know some of it will be dropped in the station, there will be tracks in the station OOS this summer. The remainder of the rail will be spread out on the Hudson Subdivision.
 #1640553  by chuchubob

#1640815  by Tadman

Interesting that, of all places to use top-and-tail motors, they have the NEC. Where there are like four grade crossings. Wouldn't that be the best place to use a cab car where cars can't go around gates?
 #1640825  by motor1

Railjunkie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:17 am The current Empire schedule is close to what it was before COVID all the trains and turns have returned. Ohh but wait don't get use to it. There will be some sort of schedule modification coming up in late summer due to a 18 month to 2 year project in Penn. I keep hearing a 25% loss of trains possibly,
Do you have a link? And how will this affect NEC, NJT, and LIRR service at Penn? And just what is the "project"?
 #1640833  by RandallW

Tadman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:07 pm Interesting that, of all places to use top-and-tail motors, they have the NEC. Where there are like four grade crossings. Wouldn't that be the best place to use a cab car where cars can't go around gates?
What cab cars do you suggest? The remaining ex-Metroliners are already all in use on other services (Keystones and Hartford Line services), and already those are increasingly running behind an engine in top-and-tail formation because their cab controls are increasingly unreliable.
 #1640861  by west point

motor1 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:44 pm There will be some sort of schedule modification coming up in late summer due to a 18 month to 2 year project in Penn. I keep hearing a 25% loss of trains possibly,
Do you have a link? And how will this affect NEC, NJT, and LIRR service at Penn? And just what is the "project"?
[/quote]

Maybe talking about the East River tunnel bores rehab.? That will close one of the 4 bores at a time. However, many have posted that will not have much effect. The problem would be that during rehab another bore is blocked temporally.