• inbound/ outbound on the subways

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

I have a question, what are the inbound / outbound directions on the subway lines? like the redline for example, is ibound to braintree? what about the other lines?

by CJ

This is always a lot of confusion, and a lot of people would like "north/south" designations as well...

Inbound is going INTO the city, ie, coming from Braintree to Downtown Crossing...

But after you pass say Charles/MGH area, your going OUTBOUND to Alewife (sp?)

Also the Orange Line, say you get on at Community college, your going inbound to chinatown, but after chinatown your going outbound...

Its confusing yes, but just figure AWAY from the "Square"(Park/downtown/gov center/state) is outbound, going towards the square is inbound!

(and once you pass the square your going back outbound)

by Ron Newman

I wish the T would use Northbound/Southbound for the Red and Orange Lines, and perhaps Eastbound/Westbound for the Blue Line.

But this breaks down for the Green Line, especially once it's extended to Somerville and Medford. From Park Street, both directions would be 'Westbound'.

by octr202

Inbound/outbound is pretty much ingrained in the culture here. It works perfectly with commuter rail, but its tough on the subways.

New systems (like Washington Metro), or those that have revamped their signage and nomenclature (Chicago CTA) have gone with just terminal names. They both have lines (Blue in Chicago, Red in DC) that don't lend themselves to using compass directions. Seems to work fine there.

by Reddy Rocker

I think this has been discussed to great lengths before. Might as well lock the topic, if anyone can find the old thread...

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

thanks for the help guys :-D