Railroad Forums 

• Illinois Central Rail Road Questions

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1086581  by tlovinggood

Hello--

I am trying to research some information about my grandfather who was an engineer for the ICRR. He worked out of Memphis, Tenn. in the 1920's,--30's, 40's and retired in 1947. His name was Webster Perry Lovinggood and his route took him from Memphis Tn to Vicksburg, MS, I am posting this question on the Board to see if someone could direct me to a site where I might learn more about him and the ICRR. Thanks in advance

Tom Lovinggood
 #1088103  by ExCon90

For questions about the Illinois Central, try the Illinois Central Historical Society at http://www.icrrhistorical.org. For specific information about your grandfather, the Railroad Retirement Board has information about individuals' employment history for the years after 1936 (there's a charge). Go to http://www.rrb.gov, and look under genealogy; they'll want the exact name, and the Social Security number if you have it.
 #1088256  by JayBee

Obviously they will want the information off his RRB Card, since railroad employees from that era would never have a Social Security number. Your Railroad Retirement Board number replaces your Social Security Number if you are a Railroad Employee unless you have worked for a longer period off the railroad rather than for a railroad.
 #1088531  by ExCon90

JayBee wrote:Obviously they will want the information off his RRB Card, since railroad employees from that era would never have a Social Security number. Your Railroad Retirement Board number replaces your Social Security Number if you are a Railroad Employee unless you have worked for a longer period off the railroad rather than for a railroad.
It's the same number -- and someone who never worked for a railroad might not know what an RRB number is.