• ID the LIRR location at MP31

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyandw

I think you might like this nice Winter shot! I have two locales in mind, but let's see where you think the photographer was?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by RGlueck

In a ditch, alongside the tracks?
  by 452 Card

Cold Spring hill on the Port Jeff Branch heading east. In a Ditch. :wink:
  by FrankAndCindy

Hello, I agree with 452 Cold spring harbor hill. Frank and Cindy
  by nyandw

How about MP31 at Mill Neck as follows:
Just east of MP 31 on the Port Jeff branch, the tracks cross over what was a private road and now is a bike trail. The tracks do not curve from the milepost eastward as on the Oyster Bay branch: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/oyster ... P31-32.jpg

Image 11/1940

The Alco #201 (delivered 12/1963) 900 gal fuel tank has not been replaced as of yet, no smoke deflectors, and as delivered white numbers on the black background. Winter, thus c.March 1964.

Image 10/11/1972
  by RGlueck

The E5 and train, then the FA push-pull are two great shots I'd never seen before! They could easily be the same location as the C420, although not in a ditch.
  by 452 Card

I'm sticking with the Port Jeff Branch. Engineering (Track Dept.) road charts show an eastward downgrade east of MP31 west of Cold Spring Harbor of 1.24% average. The same book shows the OB Branch at MP31 westward with an upgrade of 1.3%.. And, why would an RPO be assigned to an OB train? Also, the train seems to be lengthly, so unless its 509 or 511, I'm sticking with PJ.
The pic shows a train going downhill, that's my take on it.
And right now I'm not in a ditch.
Maybe later.
  by nyandw

452 Card wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:58 pm why would an RPO be assigned to an OB train? Also, the train seems to be lengthly, so unless its 509 or 511, I'm sticking with PJ.
Any ideas when the last RPO mail was carried on the OB Branch?
  by 452 Card

None whatsoever.
  by nyandw

ETT effective May 17, 1964 and mail delivery was still in effect on a number of branches: Port Jeff, Montauk, Greenport, Babylon, Long Beach, Hempstead and even West Hempstead! Oyster Bay was NOT one of them. Info: Dave Keller

"...Pt. Jeff and Oyster Bay RPO's: Pt Jeff lasted to just about the end, 1964-1965. Oyster Bay was most likely late 1950's, or until 1960 which is also the year Railway Express was cancelled on the branch..." Info: Ben Jankowski

Hat's off to the MP31 near Cold Spring inputs! Thanks, folks.
  by RGlueck

But still, most definitely, in a ditch.
  by 452 Card

On the Port Jeff Branch, in a ditch.
  by RGlueck

I doubt a GPS could make it more exact than that.
  by RGlueck

My father was in the Ass't. Superintendent of Track so that entitles me to be a Son of a Ditch.