• Hypothetical Ivy Ridge Scenario

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by bigshu82

For the purposes of this thread, let's pretend that the Cynwyd Line has been restored to Ivy Ridge. If one train each heading inbound from both Ivy Ridge stations were to depart at the same time, which train would reach Suburban Station first? If the train from the former PRR station were to arrive first, shouldn't this be an indication that SEPTA should demolish the current (former Reading) Ivy Ridge station and restore service (even though it means ripping up part of a parking lot) to the old PRR station?
  by jb9152

No, not necessarily. There are other factors that weigh into that decision, including potential ridership, operating and maintenance costs, and so forth. Not saying this couldn't work, just that a pure one for one measurement of travel time is not the only factor.
  by ChrisinAbington

That's the silliest scenario I've read in a while.
If SEPTA was the beneficiary of a few extra hundred million dollars, decided to not spend it on any of the more pressing capital projects, decided to not keep both alignments, and decided that arrival time to Suburban Station was a more important factor than what jb mentioned above, then they'd still have to explain to the public why they're doing all this.
PS, I remember seeing the actual travel times in an earlier thread involving the viaduct. They were very close as I recall.
  by scotty269

bigshu82 wrote:For the purposes of this thread, let's pretend that the Cynwyd Line has been restored to Ivy Ridge. If one train each heading inbound from both Ivy Ridge stations were to depart at the same time, which train would reach Suburban Station first? If the train from the former PRR station were to arrive first, shouldn't this be an indication that SEPTA should demolish the current (former Reading) Ivy Ridge station and restore service (even though it means ripping up part of a parking lot) to the old PRR station?
The train from Newtown would sideswipe the train from Allentown, while rear-ending the West Chester MagLev express train.
  by Franklin Gowen

scotty269 wrote:
bigshu82 wrote:For the purposes of this thread, let's pretend that the Cynwyd Line has been restored to Ivy Ridge. If one train each heading inbound from both Ivy Ridge stations were to depart at the same time, which train would reach Suburban Station first? If the train from the former PRR station were to arrive first, shouldn't this be an indication that SEPTA should demolish the current (former Reading) Ivy Ridge station and restore service (even though it means ripping up part of a parking lot) to the old PRR station?
The train from Newtown would sideswipe the train from Allentown, while rear-ending the West Chester MagLev express train.
I love this forum. ;)

by jfrey40535

I checked Wikipedia. Rail expansion on SEPTA is pure fantasy. There's a better chance of seeing MagLev service under Market East in the next 500 years.
  by Clearfield

jfrey40535 wrote:I checked Wikipedia. Rail expansion on SEPTA is pure fantasy.
Actually, you were looking up Pennsylvania.

Pittbburgh stopped all work on expansion and even closed some light rail.

The Harrisburg area shelved adding commuter rail to existing 'freight' lines.

PA couldn't manage expansion when it had money.

And now there's no money.