• Hydrocal and bridges

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

re

by izzy1975

you know this is actually pretty neat to see peoples different techniques of modeling scenery. Almost every single post i have seen so far, someone has a different way! Very informative! Great job guys :wink:
  by lvrr325

I've just spent days trying to find someone with Hydrocal in central NY. Central Hobby Supply used to sell you a 5-lb bag they made splitting up the 100-lb bags, but lost their supplier for the big bags some time ago. So far I've come up empty, although I may try the pottery or stucco outfits and see what I come up with.

I see Hobby Lobby has something in tubs called Pottery Plaster, though. Not sure if it's the same product USG sells named as such or not - the markings on the tubs are different. About the cheapest plaster I've seen anywhere short a 25-lb bag from a hardware store, especially if you can get it with one of their coupons, the 4-lb tub was $2.99.

All I want to do is the darned hardshell, I have a mix of foam, screen and cardboard strip going for various spots on this layout and it would be nice to finish a section and see what it looks like.