• hyde park

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by theseaandalifesaver

what's up with the staation at readville. i know there's an old yard there.

info/pictures?

thanks!

by vanshnookenraggen

And what's the deal with airplane food?

Am...am I right?

by CS

And whats the deal with this thread?

Do you have a specific question regarding Readville? Do you just want pics and info? try www.nycsubway.org and find the Boston section and then find the commuter rail section.

by Robert Paniagua

There is still a yard there, a freight yard right at Readville Station still in use by CSXT.

by CSX Conductor

There are stilla actually 3 yards there, plus the Commuter Rail's maintenance facility. "One Yard" is CSXT's main yard which is visible while passing on the Northeast Corridor. "Two Yard" is between the Dorchester Main and the Commuter Rail's facility (Which branches off Two Yard towards the East end by Dana Interlocking.). "Five Yard" is the big yard over by the Sprague street bridge but is not used and has been deemed "contaminated" for years. Amtrak stores MofW equipment on the "Five Yard Lead" which is the two tracks that lead between the Franklin Branch at Read Interlocking and the Yard. There may be something very big in the works for rail service to come back to Five Yard in the future. :-D

by vanshnookenraggen

Whats the status of the short branch to Dedham Center?

by 130MM

CSX Conductor wrote: There may be something very big in the works for rail service to come back to Five Yard in the future. :-D
Awright, Mr. Conductor what have you heard about 5 Yard?

I know there were plans for it a number of years ago for daytime storage, but the neighbors were able to squash it. There were even suggestions to build a 30 ft. high earthen berm where the Dedham Branch is (to answer another question: it is at this time not being used) to block their view of the yard.

But apparently the fact that one buys a house next to a railroad yard does not indicate to the buyer that there might be trains there. Hizzoner the Mayor is also from that area, so his support may have help stop the plan.

DAW

by CSX Conductor

Unfortunately I can't elaborate just yet 130, but since it's gonna involve moving over Amtrak & MBCR so you'll probably hear something soon.

Menino wanted industrial in there, it was the Dedham folks that wanted to make it all residential.

As 130mm mentioned, the Dedham Branch has not been used in many many years, and 2 of the above-grade bridges have been removed.

by 130MM

Back in the Amtrak Mail & Express days there was a proposal to have the express facility in 5 Yard. At the time the only train to/from Boston that carried express was 448/449. One proposal was to reroute the train Framingham - Walpole - Readville - Boston so it could work 5 Yard on the way by.

DAW