Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by morris&essex4ever

acelaphillies wrote:Where is NJT storing large amounts of its equipment?
To keep them out of flood prone areas like Trenton and Hoboken. Remember the SEPTA debacle last year?
  by acelaphillies

morris&essex4ever wrote:
To keep them out of flood prone areas like Trenton and Hoboken. Remember the SEPTA debacle last year?
No I said where not why. Oh yes, I fully remember this from last year:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by morris&essex4ever

acelaphillies wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:
No I said where not why.
Oh, my bad, they're probably storing them in high lying areas such as Summit and Waldwick.
  by acelaphillies

morris&essex4ever wrote:Oh, my bad, they're probably storing them in high lying areas such as Summit and Waldwick.
No problem. Do you think Morrisville Yard is full of equipment? I know it is relatively close to the Delaware, but it would take unprecedented flooding to damage anything in there. However, as SEPTA learned last year record flooding happens. Also, anything in Morrisville would be stuck in PA if Trenton was flooded, but I guess if Tenton was flooded there wouldn't b service anyway.
  by morris&essex4ever

acelaphillies wrote:
morris&essex4ever wrote:Oh, my bad, they're probably storing them in high lying areas such as Summit and Waldwick.
No problem. Do you think Morrisville Yard is full of equipment? I know it is relatively close to the Delaware, but it would take unprecedented flooding to damage anything in there. However, as SEPTA learned last year record flooding happens. Also, anything in Morrisville would be stuck in PA if Trenton was flooded, but I guess if Tenton was flooded there wouldn't b service anyway.
Based on JT's post last year, probably. However if there's flooding between New Brunswick and Morrisville like there was last year, that would strand the equipment there for a while.
  by 25Hz

morris&essex4ever wrote:
acelaphillies wrote:
Based on JT's post last year, probably. However if there's flooding between New Brunswick and Morrisville like there was last year, that would strand the equipment there for a while.
And that is why they suspend service! ;)

In all seriousness, morrisville yard is a good place to store stuff in this situation. it can fit a lot of cars, you can also put stuff on the throat tracks & the flyover if needed. It's about 60 feet above the river.
  by alewifebp

Luckily, this storm probably won't cause the same type of flooding that occurred during Irene. The rainfall amounts aren't too high, and we've had a much drier year than last. However, whereas the wind in many areas during Irene was not all that bad, the wind in this one seems like it's going to be a a biggie. Since the windiest part of the storm is going to be Monday night, I'd say that the chances are very high that no service will be operating on Tuesday either. There will most likely be widespread power outages, so I suspect that many of the jobs that people commute to won't be open anyway.

Stay safe out there. I have lots of family in the shore towns, and I know they are preparing for the worst.
  by 25Hz

It looks like the last rail ops trains are underway.

Make sure you don't get stranded folks, grab those last trains to get where you need be.
  by Jtgshu

Hey look, im stealing someone's internet :)

Anyway, they are storing SOME trains from Morrisville on the Coast Line in an "undisclosed" location. Its NOT a good idea to store everything in MV, because if the NEC ROW is damaged or closed off for rail travel for an extended period of time, having MV FULL of trains is going to lead to MAJOR shortages of equipment elsewhere, and could even prevent service from operating on other lines because of a shortage of equipment, with all of it being trapped in MV.
  by airman00

millerm277 wrote:Hoboken Terminal is already flooding: http://twitpic.com/b8dg7f

Going to do some major damage, considering there's a lot more surge to come.
Oh boy, that's not good! :(

Im going to cross post this in NJ railfan forum.
  by blockline4180

alewifebp wrote:Luckily, this storm probably won't cause the same type of flooding that occurred during Irene. The rainfall amounts aren't too high, and we've had a much drier year than last. However, whereas the wind in many areas during Irene was not all that bad, the wind in this one seems like it's going to be a a biggie. Since the windiest part of the storm is going to be Monday night, I'd say that the chances are very high that no service will be operating on Tuesday either. There will most likely be widespread power outages, so I suspect that many of the jobs that people commute to won't be open anyway.

Stay safe out there. I have lots of family in the shore towns, and I know they are preparing for the worst.
While that may be true, especially with the rainfall amounts north of Trenton, the coastal areas all the way up to Hoboken and Lower Manhattan, and parts of the low line 5 boroughs may be inundated with a high storm surge. Possibly as much as 11-12 feet storm surge can really create a lot of serious flooding problems in Hudson counties and coastal sections all the way down to AC. This is still a Cat 1 and will most likely make landfall as one very close to AC.

Most places power will go out, so everyone please stay safe and secure!! Let's hope for the best!
  by NYSW3022

For some reason NJT ran a highrail truck on the MB/M&E out to Mt. Olive this morning. Went about 1/4 west of the Mt. Olive station and headed east. I can't imagine they're already looking for damage.
  by lirr42

Twitter user @jerrylore tweeted a photo of Hoboken Terminal:
(Photo credit: @jerrylore/meetingpeopleiseasy Instagram)
  by lirr42

WNBC says NJ Transit service will remain suspended through Tuesday due to the storm. Nothing official yet.