Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Ken S.

blockline4180 wrote:I was also told 4507 is OOS for some other reasons..... I haven't seen that engine in awhile either, anyone else have???
I saw 4507 recently on Train 854.
  by blockline4180

Darn!!
  by jt42cwr

beanbag wrote:The diesel number has gone down big time since last time. Cwr, do not be fooled by that ALP45 number. Look at the fleet number, thats only 23.. Out of 35 total, there are 12 more 45s for a total of 21 damaged by Sandy.
ns3010 wrote:That number is not completely accurate. At least two of the 9 have been repaired and returned to service. The 9 damaged NJT units are:
4504 (repaired)
4523 (repaired)

The other 12 flooded units (4521-4522 and 4524-4533) had been delivered, but not yet accepted by NJT at the time of the storm. Because they had not yet been accepted, they did not (and still do not) "officially" belong to NJT yet, and thus are excluded from the damage report.
Cheers guys, just what I needed.
  by 25Hz

I really am curious as to how this dip in brackish water will affect the 45's service life...
  by morris&essex4ever

Shouldn't be too big of an issue...
  by ThirdRail7

I hope NJTransit has better luck than Wrong Island Railroad had with their dam contraption.

NJ Transit using 'TrapBags' to act as a dam for Sandy-damaged rail yard

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/0 ... _yard.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A brief "fair use" quote:
Looking to protect its assets during future monster storms like Hurricane Sandy, NJ Transit is putting up "TrapBag" flood barriers — pentagon-shaped sandbags sloped on angles — to serve as a 6-foot-tall dam at its Kearny rail yard and maintenance facility.

--------------------------------------------

"The TrapBags are being put around the substations and the emergency generator at the ROC (Rail Operations Center)," NJ Transit Executive Director Jim Weinstein said Thursday after the agency’s monthly board meeting in Newark. "The goal is to have them done by the end of the month."

The TrapBags, he said, will provide "interim protection" while the heights of the power substations are raised over the next two to three years.

"TrapBags, which are flexible and tear-resistant, are installed and filled with sand to create dams to hold back water," Weinstein said. "They have been successfully used in other areas of the country, from North Dakota to Louisiana, to minimize damage and are being installed in this region — out on Long Island and on Staten Island and Block Island in an effort to protect those areas against future floods and surges."

NJ Transit has bought 3,100 linear feet of TrapBags — which come in 100-foot lengths and are sewn together — and 43,000 tons of sand are expected to be used for the project, officials said. The agency spent $500,000 for the project.
  by 25Hz

If there wasn't an issue with water coming up from below/seeping thru the ground i'd say just build permanent walls around these places with the ability to add height later, with outward opening watertight ramps for vehicles, and outward opening watertight doors for people. you could put in a one way drain to keep rain from building up, and a pump on the drain line for when high water pushes the one way valve too much for proper drainage.

And what of the long slip? Time to fill it in & wall it off from the river?
  by JoeG

I kept waiting for Long Slip to be filled in. I wonder why it is left alone? It's just a manmade ditch.
  by morris&essex4ever

Long Island has nothing to worry about.
  by ryanov

It's a shame to have these things damaged as brand new. Lots of times when something has extensive repairs done, it's never quite right.
  by ACeInTheHole

ryanov wrote:It's a shame to have these things damaged as brand new. Lots of times when something has extensive repairs done, it's never quite right.
Bombardier and NJT are experts in electric loco maintenance, I wouldnt worry about the 45s.
  by sixty-six

beanbag wrote:
ryanov wrote:It's a shame to have these things damaged as brand new. Lots of times when something has extensive repairs done, it's never quite right.
Bombardier and NJT are experts in electric loco maintenance, I wouldnt worry about the 45s.
That's why there's a whole string of them just sitting at the MMC doing nothing but rusting to the rail...
  by ACeInTheHole

sixty-six wrote:
beanbag wrote:
That's why there's a whole string of them just sitting at the MMC doing nothing but rusting to the rail...
I meant once they are fixed. I shouldnt have to clarify every. little. thing. of. everything. I. say.
  by airman00

Speaking of being fixed... On the locomotive repair list it still shows 4 diesels awaiting repair. What are those engines? Geeps or otherwise?
  by ACeInTheHole

airman00 wrote:Speaking of being fixed... On the locomotive repair list it still shows 4 diesels awaiting repair. What are those engines? Geeps or otherwise?
Yes, the dual modes have their own separate category.