Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Backshophoss

As I understand it,The M-2's can still draw on 25hz wire for traction,but lacks the converter needed to run the "Hotel" and controls
circuts,when the 60 hz conversion was done on MN, the old converters were changed on most of the M-2 fleet.
  by lirr42

Very few, if any, M2's can still do 25hz. When they underwent an overhaul at some point many of the M2's converters were removed.

As to where they are coming from, I would presume places that have sustained a big amount of damage (I'm thinking some of Metro-North's desiel territory might be out for a while, so maybe they can lend NJT a desiel set or two.)

But be prepared to see shorter consists and more standees. This won't be fun.
  by lirr42

lnj wrote:WCBS 880 AM is reporting that limited service on the NEC (TRE-NWK), NJCL (Woodbridge-Newark) and RVL (to/from Raritan) will be restored tomorrow.
NJTransits website confirms that some limited service will be restored on those lines Friday, but it gives no details or schedule. Will the RVL and the NJCL be dispatched manually or has the ROC gotten better?
  by M&Eman

I see there is no M&E service due to damage between Millburn and Summit. Would it be possible for them to run a limited Newark Broad-Millburn (or Maplewood if the logistics of platforming at Millburn are too tough) service, turning trains at Millburn interlocking? I suppose that the main problem there is that there is no yard for trains to reach this segment from right now so there is no equipment to run service.
  by Defiant

Any idea about what kind of damage BCL has sustained? An word on when the service will be restored. Maybe just to SEC not Hob?
  by lnj

Apparently, as far as extra equipment goes, Amtrak may get VIA Rail to loan it equipment to run on its Empire Service, allowing Amtrak in turn to lend NJT its normal Empire Service equipment. It doesn't sound definite yet, but certainly an interesting scenario. Again per WCBS 880.
  by jamesinclair

Website says Friday schedule posted at 7pm, I'm not seeing it?
  by thebigham

Christie tonight said that cars were damaged in the flooded Hoboken yard.

Why weren't they moved to higher ground?
  by morris&essex4ever

thebigham wrote:Christie tonight said that cars were damaged in the flooded Hoboken yard.

Why weren't they moved to higher ground?
After the SEPTA debacle last year, I'd like to know why they weren't too.
  by Steve F45

Defiant wrote:Any idea about what kind of damage BCL has sustained? An word on when the service will be restored. Maybe just to SEC not Hob?
yea im a little shocked that they aren't having BCL/MAIN/PVL sevice to atleast secaucus and then bus them in. It could be due to the amount of power thats still out up here.

But does anyone know how they are dispatching these trains if the mmc was damaged so bad?
  by ccutler

In medicine and finance, large institutions are required to have functioning and frequently tested disaster recovery facilities. Most but not all of them worked during Sandy. I am really surprised to hear that NJ Transit does not seem to have one. It is just such a basic function for a complex operation to have one, I am really shocked by the apparent oversight.

Am I missing something?
  by M&Eman

NJT posted schedules for November 2 service. NEC is running with weekend-level service (minus the Rahway rockets) into NYP! NJCL is running NYP-Woodbridge on an hourly basis, as is RVL Raritan-Newark. Main Line is running a peak direction-only service with 7 trains in the morning and 7 in the evening running Suffern-Secaucus via Paterson. 4 out of the 7 continue on to Port Jervis.

Still no M&E, Montclair, or BCL service.
  by ryanov

Unfortunately, all the non-NEC lines have again lost their service for tomorrow, apparently due to a power failure at the ROC. Apparently they really need an alternate site for this thing.
  by morris&essex4ever

Has the ROC ever been down for so long? If not, maybe that's the reason it hasn't been moved from the MMC.
  by Defiant

ryanov wrote:Unfortunately, all the non-NEC lines have again lost their service for tomorrow, apparently due to a power failure at the ROC. Apparently they really need an alternate site for this thing.
So where is ROC, is that in Hoboken? What does it stand for?

So any idea if BCL has suffered any major damage/ For some reason, yesterday they planned to open Main line but not BCL.