• Hunter Harrison at CSX

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Backshophoss

CSX is on a road to ruins with EHH at the Helm,the real kicker is the plan to single track the Albany to Chicago ex NYC mainline! :(
Also all the current division supers have been forced off the RR,replaced by ex CN division supers.
Has removed about 1000 locos from the fleet,yards in the Ohio are stuffed full.
This could rival the the UP meltdown as more of EHH's changes take hold! :P

This does not bode well for Amtrak,for the return of service along the gulf coast, for the Lake shore Ltd routing, and
for a return of the "inland route" between Springfield-Worcester.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Backshop, Yäger could well have a plan up his sleeve to have a government agency fund the maintenance of the second track. After all, he is simply borrowing from the White and predecessor Central days when the four track road had two tracks dedicated to passenger trains and the other two for "other".
  by JoeG

CSX doesn't seem to be responding well to Dr H's ministrations. He just announced that he is an "interim" ceo. Hopefully he departs before the single tracking of the Chicago Line is implemented. Whatever "magic" he performed with CN and CP doesn't seem to work in the USA.
  by ccutler

The winner here will be NS, and I am truly surprised that the stock analysts haven't figured it out yet.
As for CSX, no worries, UP can double track the Chicago line when they buy CSX at half its current price :-D
  by ccutler

Oh, I forgot to mention, avoiding idiot activists is one of the reasons midcap companies like to be owned by private equity firms. Like BNSF, they don't have to deal with the stupidity of institutional owners who don't know the difference between a screwdriver and a wrench, yet believe any hedge fund manager's financial projections.

I could see much of the rail industry de-listed from stock exchanges and owned by private equity firms in the next 5 years. And to be clear, those private equity firms are mostly managing money for pension plans, so it's ultimately indirectly your money.

As a finance guy, I will look to any analysts to see if they like Mantle Ridge, and if they do, it's a total "red flag" that they don't do their homework.
  by newpylong

He's insane. I foretold of how this guy would gut that railroad and it is coming true. The only hope is his view of being a "short timer" is shorter than usual.
  by mmi16

The CSX Board is not doing its fiduciary duty by maintaining EHH at the controls.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Posting this article from Today's Journal here is being "negative", so I'll X-Ref it to a topic at the NS Forum:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=165804&p=1439298#p1439298" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Zeke

Just read the Railway Age article and EHH's response to it. One thing can be said about the great helmsman he sure knows how to shoot a hornets nest down the pants of any railroad he gets hold of. Single tracking the Albany-Cleveland main line may workout but Amtrak, NYS DOT and the politicians will howl. One thing regarding clogging up his network, he is a master at turning away unprofitable business either by raising rates or tormenting the shipper with poor service. This may explain the perhaps intentional slow down of transit times to force unprofitable traffic off his railroad onto NS or trucking companies. He did this at CP and CN. It appears his time is short due to health issues hopefully he lasts long enough to bring CSX around.
  by DutchRailnut

Full STB letter to H Harrison
https://www.stb.gov/stb/docs/NonDocumen ... 202017.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by J.D. Lang

This whole debacle could bring on howls from shippers for a big time re-regulation of all the RRs. in the US. Does not bode well for all RR. companies in the U.S. Lots of repercussions here.
J. Lang
  by Noel Weaver

J.D. Lang wrote:This whole debacle could bring on howls from shippers for a big time re-regulation of all the RRs. in the US. Does not bode well for all RR. companies in the U.S. Lots of repercussions here.
J. Lang
Yes and the majority will pay for the actions of one or two. Truth or Consequences maybe!!
Noel Weaver