Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

Ok so now each signal problem gets assigned to a backhoe ?? come on...
A train that arrives within 5 minutes and 59 seconds of advertized time is on time by APTA standards.
  by bigK

welll... as noted, Amtrak train number 281 was 34 minutes late - late by anybody's std.,even Amtrak
  by truck6018

Track work and signal work could have been two different issues at two different places. Since Amtrak has their own track south of CP12, there's a chance it could have been on their track and had nothing to do with MNR.

You said no southbound trains were affected. Do you mean all MNR trains arrived on time @ GCT? Poughkeepsie would get any south bound MNR trains arriving there as MNR doesn't run north of Poughkeepsie. All MNR trains come from the south and turn at the platform or they come out of the Poughkeepsie yard.

Again, Amtrak 281 delay may or may not have been a result of MNR issues as we don't know where the issue was.

Realistically, 34 minutes isn't bad for Amtrak. I was waiting at Harmon one day for the 2:33 MNR train and was fortunate enough to get the scheduled 12:29 Amtrak train with arrived at Harmon right before MNR's.

Dutch, I don't think he was implying that every signal issue gets assigned a backhoe. More like it was another dope with a backhoe that caused today's issues. Similar to what happened at the old power station a few weeks back.
  by DutchRailnut

read again.
  by bigK

RE:truck6018
You said no southbound trains were affected. Do you mean all MNR trains arrived on time @ GCT? Poughkeepsie would get any south bound MNR trains arriving there as MNR doesn't run north of Poughkeepsie. All MNR trains come from the south and turn at the platform or they come out of the Poughkeepsie yard.
I had said that the northbound trains seem to be afected the most - of course the MNRR GCT bound trains are at the track/platform ready to go some time before sched departure to GCT - I had forgot to include speculation as to the actual arival time of said MNRR trains at GCT - quite posibly they may have arrived beyond the sched arrival tech 'late' but as per nat std may have been 'on time' (is that a better way of putting it DR?) - as noted the southbound Amtrak train from ALB was 11 min late - this,unfortunately would be 'normal' and nothing to do with problem on the Hudson line to the south
Realistically, 34 minutes isn't bad for Amtrak. I was waiting at Harmon one day for the 2:33 MNR train and was fortunate enough to get the scheduled 12:29 Amtrak train with arrived at Harmon right before MNR's.
yes,unfotunately you are correct,however Amtrak is doing much better now - at least the afternoon trains are arriving in the afternoon - a number of years ago I was at the Pok station in the afternoon around 3:00 PM and an anounement for a certain nmbr Amtrak train was about to arrive on a certain trk - I had checked the Amtrak sched and could'nt figure out what PM/afternoon train it was then I checked the AM sched and it was an early AM train like 10:00 or something - IE: the train was like 5-6 HOURS late - kind of sad when 34 min. late is 'not that bad'
.... Since Amtrak has their own track south of CP12 ...
I did not know of this - this would explain delays for Amtrak trains and so the different anouncements,first 'track work' - which could have been Amtrak,then 'signal failure' could have been MNRR which would have afected all trains on the Hudson line - as far as this latter cause for delays,I was just speculating as to if the 'signal outage' was the same problem as several weeks ago in August IE: 'back hoe billy' FYI" this later is one of the 'geek terms' on a poster I have - communication lines being damaged/cut by somebody with a back hoe or other heavy machinery is quite common unfortunately