• How to Clean Drive Wheels on Steam & Diesel Engines

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by viken

I know this has been discussed before but I'm not finding anything on it via the search engine.

How do you clean your engine's wheels without disassembling the drive unit so you can get to the entire wheel? Is there some type of engine cleaning machine that's worth buying?

Thanks for any tips.
  by Mike Roque

I've found the best method is to place a paper towel (the less "fluffy" the better...ala cheap/industrial paper towels) across the tracks just ahead of a locomotive and wet it with 91% rubbing alcohol (You'll want to avoid Goo Gone because it leaves a residue...alcohol leaves nothing behind).

While holding on to the locomotive, run it at full speed in the direction of the wet paper towel so that the wheels spin and run the truck nearest the paper towel onto it (Leave the other truck on the rails so that it can still pick up electricity).

Once all the black gunk is off that truck's wheels, stop the locomotive put the wet paper towel on the other side of the it. Then, reverse the locomotive's direction and do the same thing to the other truck.

Once this is done, repeat the process (both trucks) with a dry paper towel to dry off the wheels.

At RITMRC, one of our members built a contraption to do this easier. Basically, it's a 2x4 with track on the narrow "side" with two rerailers spaced about 4 inches apart and a set of wires from each rail with alligator clips to connect to the layout. Each rerailer has some of the plastic cut away such that a strip of paper towel can be threaded over the rails and under the middle rerailer part. One rerailer is for the wet paper towel, the other is for the dry paper towel. It works great, it's portable, and you can do many locomotives in a row with ease.

If you're really interested, I can shoot and post some photos...

by Otto Vondrak

Mike, that would be a good idea. It was built by Mike Smith, I bet he could say a few words about how he put it together. I'm sure others would be interested.

-otto-
  by Mike Roque

It's a simple setup, really...not much more involved than attaching to a 2x4, attaching two flat wood "stabilizers" to the bottom (to keep the 2x4 upright on its edge), and solding the aforementioned alligator clip wires to the track.

I think Smith built it from a photo featured in an MR article a year or so ago ("Wheel cleaner saves time and effort", March 2004?)...

by Otto Vondrak

Yes you are correct, Smith actually doubled the size of it, making a "wet/dry" cleaning station instead of just a "wet-only" station.

by viken

Thanks for the tip. Instead of a paper towel, I used an old T shirt and it worked great! Thanks again.