Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by STrRedWolf

So I'm heading up to NYC for a Weird Al concert at Radio City Music Hall in late September, and it'll be the first time I will be taking the subway around places. I'll be there on Saturday starting at Penn Station, taking the E for a few hours before heading around to Grand Central before going to 30 Rock.

So how's the average weekend look like on the subway?
  by MACTRAXX

RW:

What you would need to do is check http://www.mta.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in the days before your Manhattan visit.

Weekends are sometimes a prime period for trackwork - and service changes such as rerouting.

Six months from now is far too soon in advance to note what may be in effect at that time.

MACTRAXX
  by GirlOnTheTrain

You better hope there's no GO's affecting where you want to ride...

Otherwise, as someone who primarily rides weekends, in general it's not bad. Just check out the weekend work before you go. Also, enjoy the Weird Al show...saw him in Vegas last May :D
  by Ken W2KB

STrRedWolf wrote:So I'm heading up to NYC for a Weird Al concert at Radio City Music Hall in late September, and it'll be the first time I will be taking the subway around places. I'll be there on Saturday starting at Penn Station, taking the E for a few hours before heading around to Grand Central before going to 30 Rock.

So how's the average weekend look like on the subway?
Heh. I'm going the other way at the end of May. NJ to Baltimore for the all volunteer run Balticon SciFi convention. :-) Good filk music track there, plus lots of professional guests as it's the 50th Balticon.

Enjoy the concert. I've a couple of his albums but never have seen him in person.
  by Rbts Stn

Enjoy the show. I saw him in a tiny space in Cambridge back in 1981, haven't been able to get my schedule and his synched up since then. I blame him.
  by Fan Railer

Weekend service is hands down terrible lol. Make sure you check the service changes for the specific weekend you'll be there when the time draws nearer.