Railroad Forums 

• How many NJT conductors left from the 60's?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#23978  by njt4172

I know there are a few NJT employees in here so I thought I'd take a crack at this question....Does anyone know how many former Erie Lackawanna conductors are still working for NJT?? I know there are still quite a few from the 1970's, but are any left from the 60's?? I believe EL hired a lot in 1968 so maybe there are few still working from the Dereco years....?!? I don't need names, just #'s.... I also know who the #1 1953 DL&W guy is so I don't need his name either!

Thanks,
Steve

#24833  by thebigc

Well Steve, you've got me paging through my roster yet again!! And if you run into #1 on 6620, you'd better not refer to him as an EL man!!! That was the Lackawanna in 1953. Anyhow, here goes:

One 1963 man
One 1965 man
Two 1968 men
Five 1969 men
Six 1970 men
Four 1971 men
Three 1972 men
Seven 1973 men
Six 1974 men

And that's it!

That's not too many, is it? Man, I must have seen 200 Erie, Lackawanna, and EL guys pull the pin. And probably 100 engineers, too.

#24838  by nick11a

I must ask BigC, there's a great guy who is really friendly called [removed] who I see on the Gladstone a lot. Is he one of them? (I think you know who he is arrow.)
Last edited by nick11a on Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#24899  by thebigc

I believe he's either a RDG or LV man. From Allentown way.

#24901  by nick11a

thebigc wrote:I believe he's either a RDG or LV man. From Allentown way.
Cool, thanks. Maybe I'll get the chance to talk to him about it someday.

#24931  by njt4172

BigC,

Thanks... that helps a lot!!!!

Steve

#24933  by njt4172

Nick,

There is also a guy on the Gladstone who is ex CNJ from 1969 or so....I forgot his name though.....

Steve

#24939  by DutchRailnut

good thing you guys forget names or they would be published without them oking it on this forum.
leave a bit of privacy to these guys, not all are railfans and may not like to see their name in print.

#25076  by nick11a

DutchRailnut wrote:good thing you guys forget names or they would be published without them oking it on this forum.
leave a bit of privacy to these guys, not all are railfans and may not like to see their name in print.
I usually try to protect people's privacy. But in this case, I didn't think there was any harm in asking BigC about this guy and only calling him by his last name. But, on second thought, maybe I was in error so I'll edit my post.

#25095  by DRail

Maybe if more of the living dead would retire, they could hire back all of us L.E.T.P. students that got the shaft a few months ago!!!!! NJT "The Way To Go" - Straight to unemployment!

#25410  by thebigc

DRail wrote:Maybe if more of the living dead would retire, they could hire back all of us L.E.T.P. students that got the shaft a few months ago!!!!! NJT "The Way To Go" - Straight to unemployment!

And with this attitude, we look forward to your return. You sound like about 100 other guys I've worked with over the years that suddenly changed their tune when retirement age rolled around.

For your information DRail, none of the men mentioned in this thread are of retirement age. Or the living dead as you so eloquently stated. Besides, this thread is about Trainmen. At any rate, you'll just have to wait your turn like everyone else has around here.

#25419  by njt4172

theBigC,

My friend Pat who is a conductor told me there are more then 6 EL people left who were hired in 1974....Perhaps you missed a few?? That is unless he is counting the EL employees who werent hired out as conductors but rather towermen or signal maintainers then became conductors for NJT...

Steve

#25477  by thebigc

There might be two others but they don't have EL seniority dates. They either hired out in a different craft or were off some far away division. These two or three guys have NJT seniority dates.