Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Ridgefielder

I count 31 on the Danbury Branch, including private crossings. Also including one set of flashers & gates without a road! :-D
  by TomNelligan

The Waterbury branch was mostly grade-separated by the New Haven RR in the early 20th century when the line was a busy freight route. The only grade crossings between Derby Junction and Waterbury are Division Street (which marks the Ansonia/Derby city line, hence the name) and the private factory crossings within the mostly dormant Farrells property in Ansonia. South of Derby Junction, I believe there are two secondary road crossings but I might be forgetting one.
  by R36 Combine Coach

West-of-Hudson (north of NY State Line)

Port Jervis:
Sloatsburg station
Contractors Rd (Tuxedo)
E. Village Road (Tuxedo)

Prior to 1983, the Erie Main Line route had far more crossings, including downtown traffic. This was one reason for the rerouting.

Pascack Valley:
Dutch Lane (Spring Valley)
New Clarkstown Road
Prospect St (Nanuet)
Convent Rd
Crooked Hill Rd
Washington Av
Central Av
Jefferson Av

Plus three crossings on the yard trackage west of Spring Valley Station
  by SecaucusJunction

There is one more on the PJ Line about a mile west of the Sloatsburg station. I do not know the name of the road.
  by SecaucusJunction

There are crossings at Manitou, Peekskill and Croton North on the Hudson Line. I'm not sure if there are any others.
  by NH2060

SecaucusJunction wrote:There are crossings at Manitou, Peekskill and Croton North on the Hudson Line. I'm not sure if there are any others.
There's one @ Chelsea near the Yacht Club.

Now for the New Canaan Branch there's:

Crescent Street
Glenbrook Road
Private Crossing
Riverbend Drive South
Omega Drive
Largo Drive
Camp Avenue
Hoyt Street
Talmadge Hill Road
Richmond Hill Road
Grove Street

I'll let someone else tackle the Harlem Line :-P
  by njtmnrrbuff

The one at Croton North has been long gone, and in place, is an overpass. Yes, there are grade crossings in Peekskill and Manitou. A bit further up the Hudson Line in Chelsea, there is a grade crossing, but I think it's only for those who are using the yacht. A few miles south of Poughkeepsie, there is another grade crossing.
  by truck6018

On Hudson line is:

Hudson Ave (Peekskill)
Manitou (@ Manitou Station)
King's Dock (Garrison)
Bank St (Chelsea)
Pirate's Canoe (Poughkeepsie)

Croton North is not a crossing.

On the Harlem Line..... ALOT!
  by runningwithscalpels

Isn't there another one just south of Waterbury station by one of the factories? I think it's just before the South Leonard St overpass.
  by runningwithscalpels

Yup, I think that's the one I was thinking of!
  by fl9m2004

Waterbury did have 2 between Derby-Shelton and Stratford however one is out of service with road closed as of last time I was up there which was 2-3 years ago
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

That one in Waterbury is a private driveway; Eagle St. itself is almost a block away. First public crossing going south from Waterbury is way down in Ansonia on Division St. south of the station. All the others are south of Derby Jct. on the last 5 miles to Devon.

NH kept it pretty free and clear north of there too. The Highland goes 10.5 miles from Waterbury station before hitting its first crossing in Bristol. The Naugy only has 2 public crossings for its first 18 miles into Torrington.