• How many CA&E cars left?

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

by MR77100

How many CA&E interurban cars have been preserved? I know the 308,309, and 431 are at the Illinois Railway Museum.

by mb41

Seashore Trolley Museum has a restored car # 434

I think Trolleyville had a bunch from them, they might be heading to IRM if not already since trolleyville closed.

by Milwaukee_F40C

The Fox River Trolley Museum has No. 20 which is operational and in good condition considering it's age (built 1902). Awaiting restoration are Nos. 316 and 317 as well as line car No. 11.

by mb41

Member of
Fox River Trolley Museum
Ties Changed: 6

What does ties changed:6 mean? How many ties the museum has changed or you yourself? I work on track at seashore, just curious :)

by Milwaukee_F40C

It's the number of ties that I have changed. :-D

by mb41

Got ya :) Cool. How do you replace them? In 2002 just two of us by hand no machines replaced 226 ties that summer. We are now replacing ties on the visitor loop, what a job :) Well thanks for what your doing. Anyone who volunteers at a trolley museum and helps preserve history in motion I have some respect for and thank you.

Since we are talking about C,A & E cars lets chat about North Shore cars.

420 & 755 are at Seashore...2004 saw a two car train out the main line.

415 needs a dier friend...oh man. Only surviving dinning car. Needs help!

I am already fundraising for three projects here at the museum. Fundraising us fun and educational, any takers to bring her back to life?

by MikeF

In addition to the cars previously mentioned, the Illinois Railway Museum also has CA&E 321.

As for North Shore cars, IRM has 160, 229, 233, 251, 253, 604, 714, 749, 757, 763 and 801-802, along with a number of unpowered work and freight cars.
Last edited by MikeF on Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by mb41

what cars of that list are from Trolleyville? North Shore cars?

by MikeF

None of those are from Trolleyville. The rumors about some of their cars going to IRM have been floating around for several years now but nothing has happened.

by mb41

Thanks for the info, hopefully those cars will find a good home.

by Milwaukee_F40C

North Shore cars at FRTM are No. 715 in green paint, which is getting a new roof, and Silverliner No. 756. We also have a TOFC that will be fixed up for work trains.

For ties and other projects we just use the basic manual tools- jacks, clawbars, shovels, we use a couple of pneumatic tampers for ballast. Three to six people usually work on track.

www.foxtrolley.org

by MR77100

Returning to the subject at hand, are their any more CA&E cars out there?

by mb41

Calm down :-D CA&E can share some space with North Shore, both important articles of history.

I am not sure about any more, does anyone have that little red book with the collections of all museums, that would tell us.

by MikeF

I have the little red book, CERA's Bulletin 105, "The Great Third Rail." Keeping in mind that it was published in 1961 and the status of some cars may have changed since then (308, now at IRM, is one I know of), here is the disposition list from that book:

11 -- RELIC, South Elgin, Ill.

20 -- RELIC, South Elgin, Ill.

36 -- Columbia Park & Southwestern Ry., North Olmstead, Ohio

303 -- Columbia Park & Southwestern Ry., North Olmstead, Ohio

308 -- Indiana Museum of Transportation and Communications, Indianapolis, Ind.

309 -- Illinois Railway Museum, Union, Ill.

315 -- Railways to Yesterday, Rock Hill Furnace, Pa.

316 -- RELIC, South Elgin, Ill.

317 -- RELIC, South Elgin, Ill.

318 -- Indiana Railway Museum, Westport, Ind.

319 -- Columbia Park & Southwestern Ry., North Olmstead, Ohio

320 -- Iowa Railway Historical Museum, Centerville, Iowa

321 -- Illinois Railway Museum, Union, Ill.

409 -- Columbia Park & Southwestern Ry., North Olmstead, Ohio

431 -- Illinois Railway Museum, Union, Ill.

434 -- Seashore Trolley Museum, Kennebunkport, Maine

451 -- Columbia Park & Southwestern Ry., North Olmstead, Ohio

453 -- Columbia Park & Southwestern Ry., North Olmstead, Ohio

458 -- Columbia Park & Southwestern Ry., North Olmstead, Ohio

460 -- Columbia Park & Southwestern Ry., North Olmstead, Ohio

"In addition, four Fox River Line lightweight cars were purchased by the Columbia Park and Southwestern Ry. thirdhand from the Shaker Heights Line in the 1950s. The cars are the 302, 303, 304, and 306. All four are on the North Olmstead, Ohio, property.

"All other CA&E cars were cut up and sold for scrap by 1963."

No, I can't explain why it says 1963, yet the book was supposedly published in 1961. And in case anyone can't figure it out, RELIC is now the Fox River Trolley Museum and the CP&SW is now Trolleyville.

by mb41

That is a great. I never knew that many were still around. I guess having many museums around by then really preserved the fleet.