• How is Berea these days?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by charlie6017

I am thinking of taking a day trip Friday and am considering Berea (or Horseshoe Curve). I have never gone there..........Is parking still ok to do at the restaurant? The crossings are gone-right? Anything you can tell me about Berea that will be beneficial? Thanks in advance.........Charlie

by railohio

The photography there is still lame. Otherwise it's perfectly fine to sit at the west end of parking lot.

What "crossings" are you referring to?

by charlie6017

I think it's Front Street? I do videos...........are there good spots to shoot video?

by railohio

I didn't know Front Street was slated for grade separation. I was there about two months ago and there were no signs of major construction being started.

Let me elaborate. Berea is good for basic photography. There are wide open views of both lines and it's reasonably well lit all day. Berea lacks much of anything for the scenery photographer, however. Bridges, tunnels, mountains, wide-open vistas, or even just cool photo props. (The tower has been boarded up and in my mind is all but dead as a photo prop.) If you want to shoot video of lots of trains going by then Berea is the place. If you want to do a feature article for Trains magazine then it is not.

by charlie6017

Thanks for the info.............maybe I was thinking of Route 237? I don't know--maybe I was just mixed up. I'm not into doing features..........sounds like it may be good!