• How do I purchase a transfer from Subway to BSL to Bus?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by flynnt

Hi,

I can't believe I have to ask this. If I want to transfer from subway-surface to BSL to bus where do I buy the tranfer to get from BSL to bus?

The subway surface operator?
The BSL cashier at city hall (while on the inside of the turnstiles of course)?

Thanks.

by Lucius Kwok

You buy your transfer when you first pay your fare. In this case, on the subway-surface trolley. The transfer from the trolley to the subway is free, and there are no cashiers inside the "paid fare" zone.

by JeffK

Just make sure you stay inside the areas marked "free interchange". The layout in the tunnels is a rat's nest in a few places. If you go through one of the turnstile exits (either at a cashier's booth or through one of the full-height revolving ones) you'll be outside of the paid-fare area and have to shell out a second time.

If you ever find yourself in a situation involving multiple transfers outside of the subway/El interchange, you have to pay for each transfer sequentially - pay for one when you board the first vehicle, give it to the driver of the second vehicle and at the same time buy a second transfer for the the 3rd part of your trip and so on. There is a tear-off coupon on the bottom of the transfer ticket that's supposed to be used for a retransfer, but I've only ever seen one driver do so. They normally just sell you a new ticket.

by Umblehoon

JeffK wrote:If you ever find yourself in a situation involving multiple transfers outside of the subway/El interchange, you have to pay for each transfer sequentially - pay for one when you board the first vehicle, give it to the driver of the second vehicle and at the same time buy a second transfer for the the 3rd part of your trip and so on.

So THAT'S how it's done! The one time I thought it was going to be an issue, was several years ago while I was boarding the 101 trying to go to the sports complex (I didn't realize it was a free transfer MFL/BSL). When trying to ask how and when to get a second transfer, the operator never got off the thought that I was asking him for two (which I might have been doing, had that been the proper way of getting it! :-) ) and was getting belligerent that I was trying to "con him into giving me a free transer." After finding out that I could transfer to the BSS for free, I gave up and never learned how to do a double transfer :-D

by JeffK

Just another example of SEPTA-logic at work. Remember to bring lots of dimes and quarters, 'cause they're "serious about change".

Not surprised the driver became belligerent. I get the impression that enough riders try to pull off scams that many operators assume the worst, regardless. But it would be one heck of a lot easier to manage if SEPTA didn't have such a Looney-Tune fare system.

And then there's the story that I've heard from any number of passengers AND a few drivers, that you can't use a token in combination with 60c cash when you need a transfer. The myth-information is that "you have to pay the base fare in cash as well", so they try to hit you for $2.60 instead of $1.90.