Railroad Forums 

• Hoboken-Binghamton trip—problems

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#28705  by Irish Chieftain

According to a thread that Mr. Pevsner posted on the Amtrak forum, he's running into problems selling seats on the trip he arranged with Amtrak for a railfan excursion between Hoboken and Binghamton NY on September 25. Thus far, there are 42 coach seats sold, with the break-even point at 462. If the train is not sold to that level by July 5, Mr. Pevsner will have to pull the plug on the trip, unfortunately.

Here's Mr. Pevner's contact details if you want more information on the trip. It's an all-day affair, which certainly takes the steam (pardon the pun) out of the trip more than the coach fares...but if the odds can be beaten, I'd like to see it happen.
Last edited by Irish Chieftain on Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

#28871  by JoeG

Mr. Pevsner emailed me today saying that the trip was canceled. He asked me to post the news. At the time, RR.NET was down. He said that people who bought tickets would have their money automatically refunded to their credit cards.

#28942  by Irish Chieftain

I got a similar email. Shame, really.

On the above-linked thread, Mr. Noel Weaver posted a very insightful set of observations about excursions. Certainly food for thought for anyone thinking of organizing one. Perhaps when things are better economically...?

#29966  by BlockLine_4111

I'd like to add my comments and suggestions.

As an ex-TriState RHS member I have noticed there are much more DL&W buffs than ERIE railfans (in the EL pool). An excursion over ex- DL&W iron and to a more railfan focused destination (e.g. Scranton's Steamtown) would have a bigger draw. If they could have used steam, at least on one leg, and kept the price just under $150 RT (say $145) i think this would have been an added plus. But for convenience and cost control maybe the NJT ex-CNJ GP40Ps, with or without the M&E red Alcos, pulling consists comprised mainly of C1s could have been utilized.

Preferred Routing
Take NJT from Hoboken to Port Morris, use NS from there to P-Burg, across the Delaware River and upto Slateford Jct on the ex-DL&W Bangor & Portland branch. Roll with the D-L from here to Steamtown on the ex- DL&W main.

I did not get a chance to compare mileage and potential times with the cancelled trip routing and my proposal.

I think my proposal would net much more fans and would be feasible.

#31297  by TrainBill

Has the guy reconsidered his decision to pull the plug on 7/5, if he hasn't met his quota of ticket sales? I still think he's pulling the plug to soon, as I think most sales don't occur until later for this type of thing. The other thing is, practically, the portion of the trip to PJ, is just one short section; most of it will be operated over 25MPH trackage, some of it after dark. If it weren't so far for this speed of running, I think that more people would consider it.

Even with Amfleet equipment, unless they get serviced in both directions, somewhere between PJ and Bingo, plus both those places, given the number of hours of this trip, toilets are abpt not to be working, food and drink will be non-existent, and what is there to do on board a train, even if its on time, when its got 4 hours to go before it terminates, and its dark, with no cell coverage, or LAN capability, or hard to see, outside. If the guy had given it more thought, he might have had more success, doing what I had mentioned, and running the train in one direction to Bingo, then bussing everybody back to Boken; then, the next day, running the train from Bingo, to either Sayre on the old LV, and down to Reading or Allentown, or down the old Lackwanna, and on to Reading or Philly, depending on the length of the day he he wanted/speed of track, which would get the equipment back to Philly, where Amtrak supplied it from, and been of more interest/practical, to many more pe ople. Anybody in their right mind, doesn't want to spend 12-16 hours on a train, if everything is on time, going 25 MPH. And on time operation frequently doesn't occur on these types of trips. If there were a problem on the outbound leg, 100 miles west of PJ, its not unconceiveable, that if you couldn't get a bus ticket back from Bingo, you might have a 24 hour, no food, water, or toilet, trip from hell on your hands.

Anybody who has ever been on one of these type of 'fantrips,' has either expereinced this phenomena themselves, or knows someone else, who has. Even most reasonable railfans don't want to have to live through this type of situation. Even though the guy who has volunteered to organize it, and stick is neck out financialy, to attempt to give the railfan community a chance to 'relive the glory of the Erie Limited,' should realize that in 2004, screw ups can and do happen, with equipment, trackwork, etc, and most people don't want to live the nightmare, if 'everything goes wrong.' At the price he wanted for a ticket, I doubt there would be any refund available, in Boken, if the train became that kind of a hell ride.

Just ask anybody about the Steam trip to Reading or Harrisburg and Back, from Boken or Newark, that was opperated about 1985, or so. That was one to make you stop and think, from what I recall. And that was on Conrail's mainline, with the capacity for high speed running, with motive power available in a number of spots, had they had the ability to get Conrail to release(railfans paid extra for it), if it was ready, and available. Many people experienced that trip, and they, and many others said at that time, 'Never agian,' or 'those who forget history are condemmed to repeat it.'

In 1983, when I went to Susquehanna, with the UBoats, and Tri-State, with 40 MPH track beyond PJ in those days, it took forever to get there, and seemed longer to get back. That trip didn't get back until around 9 or 11PM. Most people started their Sunday pretty early, to make the 9AM departure in Hoboken, that morning. And what annoyed me the most on that, and other trips, was that the people who ran it, seemed to be oblivious that the trip was 2-4 hours late, and the crew needed to be changed, water needed to be refilled for the toilets, food needed to be made available, and people just wanted to get home, not retrace our morning journey, so that 'the other side of the train' could see the NYC night skyline, when we returned to Boken. That inane idea most people would have gladly sacrificed, so that the train would be 1-2 hours late into Boken, instead of the 2-4 hours late, but 'we kept our promise and did all the rare mileage we promised, like was listed on the trip flyer', mentality of the guys running the trip. Sad thing was in that case, most of the NYC skyline was obscured by buildings in Hoboken, or due to the depressed track level on the old West Shore, in Boken, where that particular train ran, so very few people saw the beautiful lights, anyway. Who cares about riding through the Erie Bergen Tunnel, at 9PM on a Sunday night, when you have work the next morning, and you've still got a 2 hour trip home, once you do get on the platform in Boken? This is among the reasons fans won't support a 2004 Erie Limited, not the need for beer, lottery tickets, and cigarettes.

I'll be quiet now. Was I 'CLEAR?'

Train Bill

#31312  by DutchRailnut

The deadline for non- refundable deposit for the trip was on july 5th. with July 4th on sunday , Amtrak and most companies celebrate on monday, you guessed it the 5th.
so as far as Mr.Pevsner I think he made a wise choise to back out if tickets did not go as planned. I sure would not want to eat a multi thousand dollar bill for a paper snafu.
as far as ticket price ??? 400 miles for $185 would have been $0.46 per mile.
not bad when IRS allows me $0.36 for my carper mile.

#31356  by BlockLine_4111

Again I would have opted to run a trip to Scranton's Steamtown using NJT equipment (possibly with M&E and URHS mixed in also). Using Amtrak equipment must be overkill and costly.

I think Don. P's proposed excursion was doomed from the get go.

I remember that 1983 U-Boat trip bound for the Southern Tier. They sent it up track #2 through Dundee Jct. because of track work on #1 IIRC.

#31360  by DutchRailnut

For a trip off NJT property you need trip insurance, since its not covered by NJT.
The Amtrak trip would have been including insurance.
Most people leveling advise and critisism to Mr.P have not even once been involved in planning a excursion, and its legal aspects. I would suggest unless you have done your own research to not tell other people what to do.

#31799  by BlockLine_4111

DutchRailnut wrote:For a trip off NJT property you need trip insurance, since its not covered by NJT. The Amtrak trip would have been including insurance. Most people leveling advise and critisism to Mr.P have not even once been involved in planning a excursion, and its legal aspects. I would suggest unless you have done your own research to not tell other people what to do.
A viable trip, with Amtrak insured equipment, would have had greater probability of reaching fruition if Mr. P and company opted for mostly ex-DL&W routing to Scranton's Steamtown. The original plan to run to Binghamton using the ex-ERIE Southern Tier was very ill conceived. As an ex-TriStater I have been involved in staffing and running excursions of smaller scope. I still stick to my argument that Mr. P and company could have and should have done better research and planning for this trip.

#31800  by DutchRailnut

Blockline Im not very familiar on that route but how many railroads would need to get involved in that trip. don't forget that shortlines are usually shut down on weekends and it would be impossible to optain Form D's for move.
how much of your routing would be on excepted track ?(no occupied passenger equipment)
how long is running time (how many crews involved)
Mr P's trip involved at least two or three full crews,
NJT= Hoboken to Port Jervis
NS = Port Jervis to Binghampton and back
NJT= Port Jervis to Hoboken

#31802  by BlockLine_4111

Dutch -

If I am correct. NJT= Hoboken to Port Morris, NJ. NS = Port Morris, NJ to Portland, PA. D-L= Portland, PA to Scranton, PA.

So it would be 3 railroads: NJT, NS, and D-L. D-L should not be a pain in the butt like NS. Does the D-L run on a weekend ? Do you want me to run some rough senarios on what potential schedules and running times could be ?

In the meantime check out some stuff at:
http://www.daylightimages.com/trackside/dlgap1.html
http://www.nessman.net/rochesterrailf/d-l.htm
http://www.nps.gov/stea/

I know DL&W fans >>> ERIE fans, but Scranton would have appeal for both railfans and non-railfans alike. Maybe we can get a spring or fall foilage run to Scranton for 2005.
 #31912  by Noel Weaver

The proposal to run a trip to Scranton because more people would ride it
does not make sense to me, it would probably take just as long to go to
Scranton as it would to Binghampton and I believe some of the proposed
route was exempted track a few years ago. This trip might appeal to a
few railfans but railfans DO NOT pay the bulk of the bills or fill the bulk of
the seats on a trip of this nature.
A lot of them won't spend the money to help suport a trip of this nature
and some of them would rather chase a trip than help support it.
A trip to Harrisburg one way through Allentown and return via Amtrak
might have made more sense and probably been cheaper to operate as
well.
A trip that is going to have to sell a lot of tickets to operate needs to have
some appeal to the public in order to be successful.
It is bad enough riding over a line that is basically a 40 MPH operation with
many areas of 25 MPH but it is much worse to ride over a line with some
25 MPH and a lot of 10 MPH, not much appeal to the public here. Not too
much public appeal here, one can get to Scranton in around three hours
by car or probably bus too for that matter.
Need I add that the conduct of some (probably a few) railfans on fantrips
have soured many railroads and others in the operation of such trips and
have contributed to the high costs of insurance and operation.
It might be nice to dream of exotic routes, but it is just a dream for the
most part.
In my opinion, either a trip to Scranton or Binghampton using the proposed routes is too long for one day.
As times change, the viable options for trips get less and less.
Noel Weaver

#31937  by njt4172

Guys,

The trip that Blockline envisons does NOT travel over any excepted track! The Washington Secondary is in good shape for 25-30 mph running.......So I don't know where you get the excepted track ideas......

Steve

#32009  by BlockLine_4111

An alternate, expedient routing from Hoboken to Scranton:

NJT: Hoboken/Newark Penn Station to Aldene (Waterfront/NEC/RVL)
NS: Aldene to Allentown/Lehighton, PA (NS Lehigh Line)
RN: Lehighton to Dupont (RN's ex-LV/CNJ iron)
CPR:Dupont to Scranton (D&H + DL&W)

CPR crews should be qualified from Aldene to Scranton. If the train got priority w/o interference from any NS/CSX traffic they could cruise on the Aldene to Allentown, PA segment. 55+ MPH running between Aldene and Allentown should be fine.

Also see RN website and maps
http://www.rbmnrr.com/

#32037  by JoeG

I would have bought a ticket for the Binghamton trip if I wasn't so broke. I did, however, have reservations about the trip's logistics. But let's not lose sight of the fact that running an excursion takes a tremendous amout of work, planning, diplomatic skill, and money. I'd be happy to go on any of the excursions mentioned on this thread (if I could afford the ticket), but I doubt that any of them could actually be organized and run.
I was surprised at the low number of tickets Mr Pevsner was able to sell. I agree that he would have sold more as the trip date approached, but I could see why the financial risk would cause him to cancel.
One problem we face is the relatively small (and apparently declining) number of railfans out there. (I was able to spend a couple of days at the NRHS convention last week, and I could see that most of the attendees had Medicare cards.) So, expensive excursions have to appeal to more than hard core fans to succed.