• Hobbyshop in Paris France

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Erwin

Probaly not the best place to ask, but does anyone know an address in Paris France from a modelrailroad shop?

If not maybe someone knows how a modelrailroad shop is called in the France language? This way I can check on a search engine. I have not had any luck yet.

Thanks, this is becouse I go on vacation in May.

Erwin

by pennsy

While it would be a good idea to carry an English- French dictionary with you, don't worry too much about speaking French. In Paris you would be surprised how many of the people around you, including shopkeepers, speak English. I have friends and relatives that toured Paris etc. and had no problems. You run into trouble when you visit the little villages. And even there you might be surprised.

Vous vous amusez bien. (Enjoy Yourself).
  by railfilm

Erwin wrote:Probaly not the best place to ask, but does anyone know an address in Paris France from a modelrailroad shop?

If not maybe someone knows how a modelrailroad shop is called in the France language? This way I can check on a search engine. I have not had any luck yet.

Thanks, this is becouse I go on vacation in May.

Erwin
Hi Erwin

there is an excellent "American style" modelshop close to Moulin Rouge, 48 Rue de Douai.

Have a nice trip.

by pennsy

And don't forget to carry Euros with you. If you hand them American dollars you will either be refused or grossly overcharged. Last time I looked a Euro was worth well over a dollar. I recently sent an old friend of mine a check for twenty dollars as a baby gift for his new daughter. The banks refused to cash that check. He told me he had to rip it up. I wound up sending him some baby clothes worth about the same amount. With the shipping charges, good luck. Almost doubled the value of that check.

by Erwin

Thanks for the addresses and advise everyone. Luckly I got a Dutch bank account with some Euro's in it still. (but not for long :-D )

I moved to the USA in 1988 and I have seen a lot of things related to money, but the way the dollar is dropping and the Euro is gaining... I have not seen before.

Just a few years back it was more Euro for the dollar, but now...

Thanks, Erwin

BTW I wan't to get a few "real" France model layout accesories.

by george matthews

pennsy wrote:And don't forget to carry Euros with you. If you hand them American dollars you will either be refused or grossly overcharged. Last time I looked a Euro was worth well over a dollar. I recently sent an old friend of mine a check for twenty dollars as a baby gift for his new daughter. The banks refused to cash that check. He told me he had to rip it up. I wound up sending him some baby clothes worth about the same amount. With the shipping charges, good luck. Almost doubled the value of that check.
To get 100 euros now you need over 150$. About 5 years ago I changed a Travellers cheque for $100 to get 100 eurs.

by DutchRailnut

Thanks to market the dollar will soon be renamed to US Peso.

by george matthews

DutchRailnut wrote:Thanks to market the dollar will soon be renamed to US Peso.
My own feeling is that as the euro zone is a place of energy imports it will be vulnerable to the wealth of the energy producers, so its dominance is not guaranteed. But I wish Blair had got Britain in.

by NS3737

Erwin,

This forum might be a better option to put forward your question regarding to railway model shops in Paris.

http://www.worldrailfans.info/forum/vie ... f0a8a118ea

As to the current strong position of the Euro, the main cause is that Europeans do not like to live on credits. Although some banks try hard in getting us there too.

Anyway I have scheduled to benefit from the curent weak position of the Dollar for a Transatlantic holiday this summer.

Groet,

Gijs

by Erwin

Bedankt Gijs...

Thanks and have a great vacation soon. And you can bring the NS 3737 with you.

by railfilm

I am also on the way for vacation in Arizona and Colorado..... :-)

by NS3737

railfilm wrote:I am also on the way for vacation in Arizona and Colorado..... :-)
Do try to get a glimpse of the all Alco/MLW Apache Railway! When they operate it connects at Holbrook AZ with BNSF's busy Transcon.

Erwin, as to bringing along the NS 3737, I do not know how to expalain that to the US customs; anything to declare? Ehhhhhh yes just a little steam locomotive noting else :wink: .

Gijs

by railfilm

Hi Gijs (NS3737)

where is this place exactly?

by NS3737

railfilm wrote:
where is this place exactly?
For not having this tread drifting off topic any furhter: see my personal message at that with accompaniyng links.

Gijs