• HO Spectrum F40 vs. Walthers Trainline F40

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by ironhorse

Anyone care to share their thoughts comparing these two makers? Leaning towards Bachmann for looks.

Vince
Last edited by ironhorse on Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Paul Cutler III

The Bachmann F40PH is actually very wrong for looks. It is too wide, the windshields are too small, etc. I compared the Walthers F40PH to both the old PFM brass and the newer Overland brass models, and dimensionally, it looks much better than the Bachmann.

Sure, the new Bachmanns have see-through grills, etc., but the Walthers version looks pretty good when you dress it up a bit. No amount of detail parts will turn the Bachmann "sow's ear" into a "silk purse".

For running quality, I have had problems with Bachmann drives in the past, with bearings squeeling even after oiling, rough sounds, etc. The Walthers has a nice can-motor drive very simular to most modern designs with a very heavy frame (it also pulls quite a bit).

Also, IIRC, the Walthers is cheaper.

IMHO, stay away from Bachmann diesels, and get the Walthers F40PH.

by ironhorse

That is very helpful, Paul. Many thanks.

Vince

by sjl

Vince,

Keep in mind, both manufactures are aiming to sell a decent locomotive at a reasonable price, which is different then trying to sell an outstanding loco at a high price (read: Kato, Atlas, Genesis...). Bachman Spectrum is pretty decent IMHO. I'd suggest trying out both makes at your dealer and picking the one that performs best.

Ron

by ironhorse

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, but with my luck it is probably a train...
Last edited by ironhorse on Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Chuck Walsh

I own a pair of the Walthers first run F40PHs. No regrets.
Bachmann hasn't enjoyed creditable diesel comments.
  by Paul Cutler III

sjl wrote:
Keep in mind, both manufactures are aiming to sell a decent locomotive at a reasonable price, which is different then trying to sell an outstanding loco at a high price (read: Kato, Atlas, Genesis...).
Not quite. Bachmann F40PH's are selling for $95 MSRP, which for the non-quality of this model is not reasonable.

Walthers F40PH's are going for just $55 MSRP, which is far more reasonable, IMHO.

(Above prices from www.walthers.com)

And don't forget that all Bachmann F40PH's come with strobes on the roof, which is only applicable to Amtrak, yet they have them on Metra, MBTA, etc. Also, all Bachmann F40PH's come with a dynamic brake fan, which is not applicable for the MBTA and GO, to name a couple.

Meanwhile, the Walthers F40PH has no strobes and the dynamic brake fan is an option (if you get the Undecorated, you get both).

Finally, www.walthers.com is selling the Undecorated F40PH on sale for only $43 right now...

by trainiac

I have one F40 from each manufacturer. The Walthers wins hands-down.

Its detail is far more accurate--dimensions, riveting (it can't be that hard to get a row of seven rivets the correct number), pilots (the plow is separate)--and yes, radiators. The fine, square grill pattern is much more prototypical than the oversized, oval-shaped holes in the Bachmann metal grills. The major underframe details (fuel and air tanks) are scale-sized, which is not the case with the Bachmann. The Walthers unit also runs and runs well; I had to retire the Bachmann due to severe flywheel imbalance. All this and the Walthers costs less than the Bachmann (although I thankfully got my Bachmann unit for free)

by Throttle_JCKY

Get to Walthers right now, they have the Trainline (Walthers) F40's on sale for $35!
I just bought another one.
Go for the Walthers Trainline version. I did this very same thing (searching for the better F40) and Walthers wins big time, if your not interested in Brass.

by NellsChoo

I have an undecorated Bachmann I was hoping to make into an MBTA engine some day. I noticed the lights up top and got puzzled. Maybe I should unload it....

by CRail

Im goin bachmann. I prefer them over walthers in most cases.
  by Paul Cutler III

NellsChoo wrote:
I have an undecorated Bachmann I was hoping to make into an MBTA engine some day. I noticed the lights up top and got puzzled. Maybe I should unload it....
Well, only if you are interested in a more accurate model. MBTA F40PH's don't have strobes and they don't have dynamic brakes, which rather puts the kibosh on the Bachmann model for the MBTA.

Besides, as Throttle_JCKY mentioned, the Walthers Undec. is only $35 at the moment.

CRail wrote:
While I would agree on the Walthers GP9M (which looks quite poor, IMHO), the Walthers F40PH, aside from the see through grills on the latest rendition of the Bachmann F40PH, is a much more accurate model. It is less expensive, too.

In the past, I've had all kind of problems with Bachmann diesels. Loud drive trains, squeeling motor bearings, nickel-silver plating flaking off the wheels, in accurate paint schemes, etc.
  by Mike Roque

At the RIT Model Railroad Club, we've got two Walthers F40s and one Bachmann.

The reason we purchased the two Walthers ones was because of the poor running of the Bachmann. I'm all about smooth operation and the Walthers F40s have it...certainly MUCH better than the Bachmann.

by trainiac

I don't think that's a good idea! Not all products from one manufacturer are the same. I think there's a pretty much unanimous view that the Walthers F40PH is superior to the Bachmann version.

I forgot to mention in my last post that the Bachmann paint was the worst I've ever seen, with fudged-out details. The Walthers paint was good.

While I would agree on the Walthers GP9M (which looks quite poor, IMHO), the Walthers F40PH, aside from the see through grills on the latest rendition of the Bachmann F40PH, is a much more accurate model. It is less expensive, too.
Right-on about the GP9M. It actually uses a modified version of the Athearn GP9 tooling from who-knows-when, while the F40PH uses recent tooling.

The grill pattern is still more accurate in the Walthers version.
  by KB1KVD

please note that some of the later models of the F40PH(i.e. the F40PH-2, and F40PH-2C) for the MBTA have dyamamic brakes. Please refer to the picture link on rr-fallenflags http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/mbta/mbta1028l.jpg , the dyamamic brakes can be seen between the electrical cabinet and radiator cooling fans.

jay,Kilo Bravo One Kilo Volts Direct [/img]