• HO Scale Radius Tool?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Cadet57

I am currently remodeling a substantial portion of my layout to allow for larger radius curves for passenger operations. Can anyone recommend a simple to use 24"+radius tool that works with Atlas code 100 flex track? I quick google shows a few options but not sure who is reputible/ what is the best to use, etc.
  by RichM

I have two options, others may have much better ideas.

For short sections, I bought a product called Gandy-Dancer many years ago, it's a box full of cardboard templates for various configurations, including about 15 degrees of curve for radii up to about 36". The templates are HO size but for curves, a radius is a radius.

For big stuff, I just bought a couple of inexpensive yard sticks, put a nail in the center of the 2 inch mark and drilled pencil-sized holes from the 20 inch mark every two inches. That at least establishes a center line for a continuous curve.
  by Dieter

Take a 1" X 2" piece, cut it at 25-26 inches in length.

Measure from one end, 24 inches and drill a hole large enough to snugly hold a PENCIL or CHINA MARKER in place.

At the base, make a stub notch.

Plant a nail at the center of the circle. Stuff a pencil or china marker in the hole. Line up the pencil with the track center at the end of the straight section, and slowly swing the wooden strip, holding the base in place against the nail and apply a slight pressure to the writing implement.

There, you made a perfect 24" radius ARC with a homegrown tool for your TRACK CENTER. You want a superelevated curve? Shim up the outer half and line up your cork roadbed strip with the line and nail into place.

There, you just made your own tool. You can make such a tool for ANY DESIRED RADIUS. If you lose it, FORGET ABOUT IT.

Is that enough of a cost effective solution for the club or what?

D/
  by lexon

Yard stick works very well. Many years ago I bought trammel points that consist of two devices that attached to the yard stick and makes it a trammel, a great tool for doing a radius. One part clamps to the end of the stick and has point of it, the other parts slides on the yard stick to whatever dimension you want. This way the stick is vertical, not horizontal when using nails. I found this to be an advantage.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200305 ... e=10INAFFG

Rich
  by RichM

Hey Rich, that's a great tool. Thanks for the suggestion and the link!

Rich
  by Dieter

You can also use a simple string tied to a pencil or pen, like a Trig teacher using string and chalk to draw an arc on the blackboard. You don't have to spend any money, you can do this with stuff lying around your house.

D/