• HO scale C420 kitbash question

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by alcoAL

I've been working on a C420 high hood kitbash from 2 models I got in the 1980s (Model Power I think).

Would anyone know if the frame and trucks or just the trucks from an Atlas C424 could be used for the 420? The loco body has the walkway attached so I'm not sure what would be needed to put it on a different frame.

Also, would Smokey Valley handrails be appropriate? I haven't seen a photo of them to know what that look like.

Thanks -AL

by SRS125

If this is an N Scale Project use an Atlas U25B Frame with the Modal Power C420 shell on it. I rember reading about this in a Model Railroader Magazine about 4 or 5 years ago that was in a 4 Month span on how to build the Arkansas & Missouri Railroad it went into great detail on how to model the locomotives fraght cars and outher odds and ends.

by Long Island 7285

what would be involved in making a P1K RS11 into a C420?

has any one ever tried this before?

by Otto Vondrak

Seeing how you can find the Atlas Century at any train show for about $50-60, you may want to use that model as your starting point. You still haven't told us what you're trying to model- I assume you're talking about an LIRR high-nose C-420??

by alcoAL

Sorry I forgot all the important info. It's an HO LIRR C420. I have the shells and a new high short hood. I just have to attach it to the back of the cab and then figure out the frame & trucks.

I'm not too experienced with motors and drive trains so don't know what would fit in the new body. Or how to fit it on a new frame. If I can find an Atlas model I'll try modifying that.

by alcoAL

Otto, thanks for the suggestion. I have an Atlas RS3 that's from the late 80s that I can try. Although looking at it quick, I don't remember how it comes apart. I think there were some tricky tabs to release the body from the frame. I'll give it a closer look. Thanks -AL

by stilson4283

Let us know how it goes, we might be looking to model one of those high hood C420 painted for the LA&L.

Chris

by scopelliti

FWIW, the Alco 424 wheelbase (distance between bolsters) is one foot shorter than the 420, so on a model it should not be too noticable.

I used to have a link to a website that listed all the dimensions of the Alco models... can't seem to find it anymore.

by LIRRNOVA55

sombody makes a resin c420 high hood shell. . .pricey though. . ill have to find there site

by alcoAL

I have the dimensions of the C420 and the other 4 axle Centuries and the RS11 too. The C420 has the longest dimensions except for the trucks since they're all AAR B type. Since I have an RS3 available, I'll try that, then a C424 would be the next choice.

If I can get the RS3 model apart I think the motor and trucks can be made to fit what I have. I remember reading somewhere it was kinda tricky. I'll try checking a local hobby shop.

I'm keeping notes on what I've been doing so if I get this last part figured out, I'll type them up & pass them along. Actually either way I'll pass them along.

by alcoAL

I dug out the MR 2/85 issue about kitbashing C420/424/425's in HO. The C420 body was based on the Model Power unit fitted to an Atlas C424 frame/drive. It was a low hood model. The author cut the body from the walkways and glued it to the C424 walkways. A tricky cutting job using a razor saw.

The models I started with were 2 PMI HO C420s. Not greatly detailed with one truck powered and the couplers on the trucks. But that was 1982. (I started this back then, then was out of the hobby a few years!! I finally decided to try to finish it and actually paint it myself.)

What I did was leave the long hood attached to the walkways, then cut a section of the long hood off the 2nd model off and planned on attaching it to the cab for the new high short hood. That's where it sat all these years. Now I have the high hood done and ready to attach to the cab/long hood.

The problem I mentioned in this posting was about the frame/motor/trucks. I took apart the Atlas RS3 I have but using that motor & trucks would be a big job in trying to use the C420 frame. The MR article basically rebuilds the frame. One suggetion was to try a C424 model. Well I found one and hope to take it apart & try adapting it this week.

I'm still going to write this up & post it somewhere for others to use or not. Hopefully I'll get this done as a powered unit. Otherwise it'll be a dummy based on the fire damaged LSRC #976 (ex-LI#208) being returned to Long Island and restored with its high hood as a static display somewhere.