• HO GP40P NJT

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Steve F45

what did brian charge for the milling? which frames did you supply to him?
  by green_elite_cab

Before you get all insane with paying people to mill frames, there are other alternatives. Railflyer Prototype Models makes modular frames that are styrene platforms with metal sheet weights. These can be cut and modified to reach a more accurate length with hand tools like a razor saw and miter box. there are also modular and detailed fuel tanks that also attach to these frames. the frames can be made to work with Athearn, and possibly Atlas parts.

Once you know the length frame you need, you should be able to make an accurate model in the conventional kit bashing fasion.
  by The tram man

ApproachMedium wrote:
The tram man wrote:
cnj1524 wrote:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/commutermodeler/
Listed under misc.
Could you post a direct link please!

You can only see the direct link if your a member of the group so it doesnt help anyways.
Ok. Then can somebody please post the pics?
  by Steve F45

green_elite_cab wrote:Before you get all insane with paying people to mill frames, there are other alternatives. Railflyer Prototype Models makes modular frames that are styrene platforms with metal sheet weights. These can be cut and modified to reach a more accurate length with hand tools like a razor saw and miter box. there are also modular and detailed fuel tanks that also attach to these frames. the frames can be made to work with Athearn, and possibly Atlas parts.

Once you know the length frame you need, you should be able to make an accurate model in the conventional kit bashing fasion.
i've thought about that too. give me an exact length and i'll contact chris at railflyer to see what he can do.
  by green_elite_cab

Steve F45 wrote:
green_elite_cab wrote:Before you get all insane with paying people to mill frames, there are other alternatives. Railflyer Prototype Models makes modular frames that are styrene platforms with metal sheet weights. These can be cut and modified to reach a more accurate length with hand tools like a razor saw and miter box. there are also modular and detailed fuel tanks that also attach to these frames. the frames can be made to work with Athearn, and possibly Atlas parts.

i've thought about that too. give me an exact length and i'll contact chris at railflyer to see what he can do.
He's actually gotten this request a few times. even i asked about it, but i wasn't able to justify buying the parts at the time. just ask for the parts, and he'll set you up with them. I personally don't have the exact dimensions of the NJ transit units, but there are GP40P-2s in the SP version online with scale drawings. They look close enough in dimensions to me, and other than different details on the SP, this should match.

http://www.pbase.com/tracktime/gp40p2