• History of the Broad Street Line

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by MACTRAXX

NTM and Quinn: I have no doubt that the extra BSL trains being stored were due to the Army/Navy game...

Everyone: I will mention again my feelings about the Pattison Station naming rights:
I feel that BOTH names should be used to avoid confusion over a station with a well-established name-
If it was up to me it would be "AT&T/Pattison Station" or "AT&T Station at Pattison Avenue" and not
a full name change that may confuse occasional riders especially...

Another thought could have been "The AT&T Sports Complex Station" because since Pattison Avenue is no longer mentioned the main destination served by the station should be mentioned-The Sports Complex-which could eliminate confusion again for occasional riders...

Regulars already know the BSL and new riders would learn the line with the new station name...which to me is not really a good thing noting what could have been...

Insight and opinion from MACTRAXX
  by Clearfield

AT&T wrote the check and called the shots.
  by Suburban Station

given the tax money the teams receive maybe they should cough up some dough for the station and to put their logos in.
  by safari

Does anyone know how far north the upper level tracks go past Erie Ave(pics?), or what the intent of the trackless tunnel northwest of the Olney was for(south bound side)?
  by jayo

NortheastTrainMan wrote:
*Are there any plans to replace the B-IVs?
They're not really that old! More likely they'll be hopefully receiving a mid-life rehab. I'd like to see that done, giving them AC propulsion, LED signage, as well as those cab signals.

Anybody have any pics of the junction at Fairmount? I want to see where the Spur trains diverge!

I saw a pic of a CTA 2200 series at Fern Rock, but the cars weren't replaced til the 80's. What became of that?
  by NortheastTrainMan

Today at Walnut-Locust I saw the 3:11 Northbound Express pull off with a Cash N Trash car in the lead. I doubt it was 666 because that car can't lead trains due to its' broken speedometer. I think it's # was 552? It was interesting seeing a revenue BSS train actually being led by a silver B-IV.
Also when the southbound express trains pull into Walnut-Locust then head down the tunnel to turn around what takes them so long? I don't operate trains, but the reason I ask this is because it seems some express trains are in and out while others sit in the tunnel for what seems like forever. I have ideas of what it could be (waiting for a signal,listening on the radio, or speaking with supervisors/crew members), but I'm not exactly sure.
Lastly on event days (Army Navy Game, Sports Game,etc) I see BSS sets parked on express tracks with the lead end right at the signal or slightly past it. Why is that?
  by scotty269

NortheastTrainMan wrote:Today at Walnut-Locust I saw the 3:11 Northbound Express pull off with a Cash N Trash car in the lead. I doubt it was 666 because that car can't lead trains due to its' broken speedometer. I think it's # was 552? It was interesting seeing a revenue BSS train actually being led by a silver B-IV.

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=81915
  by Matthew Mitchell

NortheastTrainMan wrote:Also when the southbound express trains pull into Walnut-Locust then head down the tunnel to turn around what takes them so long? I don't operate trains, but the reason I ask this is because it seems some express trains are in and out while others sit in the tunnel for what seems like forever. I have ideas of what it could be (waiting for a signal,listening on the radio, or speaking with supervisors/crew members), but I'm not exactly sure.
Operator on break. The trains that turn right around are 'drop-backs' where a second operator boards at Walnut-Locust and is ready to take the train northward as soon as it stops on the tail track. The first operator gets off when the train returns to Walnut-Locust, takes a break, and takes over on a subsequent train.
  by redarrow5591

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
NortheastTrainMan wrote:Also when the southbound express trains pull into Walnut-Locust then head down the tunnel to turn around what takes them so long? I don't operate trains, but the reason I ask this is because it seems some express trains are in and out while others sit in the tunnel for what seems like forever. I have ideas of what it could be (waiting for a signal,listening on the radio, or speaking with supervisors/crew members), but I'm not exactly sure.
Operator on break. The trains that turn right around are 'drop-backs' where a second operator boards at Walnut-Locust and is ready to take the train northward as soon as it stops on the tail track. The first operator gets off when the train returns to Walnut-Locust, takes a break, and takes over on a subsequent train.
Actually not a break. The peak schedules demand a fast turn at either end of the line and at Walnut-Locust for the Express Service or at Olney terminal for the Broad-Ridge Spur. There IS a finite amount of time between when the train pulls away from the station to get to the end of the track, set the parking brakes and Cut-Out the cab on the North End, Cut-In the cab on the South End, recharge the brakes, and ask for permission to head back south (I'm using the example of a Broad-Ridge train on the tail track at Olney). If that takes too long then that Spur train is going to be riding the yellows all the way to Erie. Also if that Spur gets that permission first then that Walnut-Locust Express could end up Riding The yellows until that Spur goes down the hill at Fairmount (that has actually happened to me before).
  by Matthew Mitchell

redarrow5591 wrote:Actually not a break. The peak schedules demand a fast turn at either end of the line and at Walnut-Locust for the Express Service or at Olney terminal for the Broad-Ridge Spur.
So do all operators drop back at Walnut then? (and that's a very informative description of the turn process)
  by redarrow5591

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
redarrow5591 wrote:Actually not a break. The peak schedules demand a fast turn at either end of the line and at Walnut-Locust for the Express Service or at Olney terminal for the Broad-Ridge Spur.
So do all operators drop back at Walnut then? (and that's a very informative description of the turn process)
Mostly during the Rushes. During the midday there is enough headway that the quick turns are not needed. That isn't to say that 's the case for the Broad-Ridge; All operators report, start and finish at Fern Rock so during the day BRS operator reliefs are done at Olney for those who do those straight shifts.
  by rbreslow

Some Q's

1. Why does AT&T station have 2 floors of track?
2. Also how come the tracks keep going past the station? I don't see any bumpers and it looks like it keeps going.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Answer to both: to store extra trains for post-game service.
  by Suburban Station

Matthew Mitchell wrote:Answer to both: to store extra trains for post-game service.
seems like a piss poor design versus four tracks on one level.
  by rbreslow

Suburban Station wrote:
Matthew Mitchell wrote:Answer to both: to store extra trains for post-game service.
seems like a piss poor design versus four tracks on one level.
I agree. They could have saved a lot of money just building one, then again if they ever want to extend service to say KPHL a top floor would come in handy for stoping some trains and continuing others to the next destination.