• high speed turnouts

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by epspsy

Who might know what the highest speed turnout (diverging route) might be on the NEC. How fast can trains run through a crossover?

by keotaman

There must be many higher than this, but just east of Stamford, CT is a limited interlocking, diverging moves at MAS 70 mph. The one by Southport is not yet operational for diverging moves, should be 75 when used.

by pennsy

Hi All,

Some time ago, I saw the instalation of a high speed turnout on the Metrolink, San Bernardino Division. The Engineering Drawing specified, 110 mph straight through, and 85 mph taking the curve. I would imagine that the high speed turnouts on the NEC are similarly specified. The speed going straight through the switch is always higher than the speed allowed taking the curve. By the way, I have yet to see a Metrolink train even approach those speed restrictions. The train may be doing as much as 40 mph taking the curve.

by Rockingham Racer

80 MPH between Providence and Mill River.

by Jishnu

Rockingham Racer wrote:80 MPH between Providence and Mill River.
The ones at Swift, where NJTransit branches off from the NEC to join the M&E is 75mph AFAIK.

by Acela Express

All high-speed turnouts with movable frog points are 80m.p.h. on the NEC

by Jishnu

Acela Express wrote:All high-speed turnouts with movable frog points are 80m.p.h. on the NEC
Including those for the crossovers at Bergen and Swift? I thought those were less than 80 mph, no?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

MBTA trains are able to take the high speed switch at HOLDEN interlocking (MP 198 on the NEC (Attleboro)) at 80mph, that is the only switch that they can do it at due to the cab speed signal that the trains get at the HOLDEN home board

but other than that, all trains must take the switch's no faster than 45mph (the highest aspect you can get between Boston and Providence is a approach limited (yellow over flashing green))

the switch's are made for 80mph but the signals make it 45

by timz

Acela Express wrote:All high-speed turnouts with movable frog points are 80m.p.h. on the NEC
Clarifying: there are some many 45-mph x-overs with movable frogs.

by Acela Express

I know there are 45 m.p.h turnouts with movable frog points but as i said all high speed turnouts. i don't know if you work on the railroad but when we say highspeed turnouts we know it's nothing under 80 m.p.h.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Acela Express wrote:I know there are 45 m.p.h turnouts with movable frog points but as i said all high speed turnouts. i don't know if you work on the railroad but when we say highspeed turnouts we know it's nothing under 80 m.p.h.
wait, so trains go trough switch's at 80 mph? what signal do you get for that move? even though all the switch's between Boston and Providence are high speed switch's, trains can only go through them at 45 mph with a Limited Clear signal (red over flashing green)

by Acela Express

There are no 80 m.p.h. high speed crossovers north of PVD. They are all between PVD-NHV. And the signal you get is cab speed it's a flashing green. Which means 80 m.p.h.

by timz

Acela Express wrote:the signal you get is cab speed it's a flashing green. Which means 80 m.p.h.
"Cab speed" means "Whatever the cab signal says", doesn't it? Wouldn't have to be 80 mph?

Hasn't been confirmed, but somebody said a train lined thru Secaucus on track B is allowed 60 mph thru the not-quite-equilateral turnouts just beyond the ends of the platforms. If so, they'd have to get flashing green too.

How about the crossovers at Grove-- are they still 70 mph? If so, that's another exception?

by benltrain

There was another thread on this forum, started by yours truly, called "switches" where I remember somebody said there are interlockings that can be taken at 150 straight through.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

timz wrote:
Acela Express wrote:the signal you get is cab speed it's a flashing green. Which means 80 m.p.h.
"Cab speed" means "Whatever the cab signal says", doesn't it? Wouldn't have to be 80 mph?

Hasn't been confirmed, but somebody said a train lined thru Secaucus on track B is allowed 60 mph thru the not-quite-equilateral turnouts just beyond the ends of the platforms. If so, they'd have to get flashing green too.

How about the crossovers at Grove-- are they still 70 mph? If so, that's another exception?
yes the speed is displayed in the cab of what you have do go when u get that flashing green