• Hershey Park campgroung

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by hazmatmess

Was planning a camping trip this summer for a track side weekend. A friend of mine told me about Hershey Park camp ground. Is it an active line? Which line is it? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Tim

by Guest

I don't know anything about the campground...but the line that runs through and serves Hershey is Norfolk Southern's Harrisburg Line between Reading and Harrisburg. It may be the busiest line on the NS.

-r

by Allegheny

My wife stayed at the Hershey campground several years ago with a girl scout troop that they took to Hershey Park. She said it was a very busy rail line next door. If I would have known that at the time I would have gone along and stayed at camp all day and watched trains while they went to Hershey Park. I've already been to the park a couple of times anyway. Speaking of campgrounds, are there any others along the NS main that offer good railfanning? I prefer one with RV hookups since we have a 5th wheel trailer. I was looking at a PA Campground Owners Assoc. book and it lists one in Duncannon which according to the directions sounds like it is located on the same side of the Juniata River as the NS main to Altoona. There were a couple of others too including Mexico and Lewistown. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!

by RCH022

yes that line there is the NS harrisburg mainline from Harrisburg,Pa to Reading,Pa. It usually sees about 50 trains a day so pretty busy. -Ryan

by njtmnrrbuff

I remember seeing that line when I visited Lebanon Valley College three years ago. While the school wasn't perfect for me in terms of academics and a lack of activities off campus, the freight line would have been my lifesavor.