• Helicopter surveying RoW in Northport area

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Teutobergerwald

Late this morning a helicopter hovered up about 50 or so feet above the Port Jefferson Branch trackage east of Northport station and moved slowly east over the right of way. It was not a Suffolk County Police helicopter, it was black or dark blue with what appeared to be gold striping. An aerial survey??? Anybody know anything about this?
  by Teutobergerwald

It didn't have the white underside or the State Police roundel on the fuselage. I was told yesterday it was probably a contractor retained to do a survey of the RoW for the LIRR.
  by NYR2218

I saw the same thing, on 11/8 at Mineola. A black helicopter flying low by the tracks.
  by freightguy

Metro North had put out a notice that a contracted helicopter company would be surveying the power lines in the coming weeks. Maybe this is also on the LIRR.
  by tahawus84

I actually saw this helicopter today along the railroad in Medford. It was landing in a field next to the row in Medford on Long Island ave. White with a black or dark blue bottom. There was also a pickup with strobe lights that said helicopter survey or something on the door.