• Headlights

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Ocala Mike

Here's a question for all you engine crew members on here. When you're on a line paralleling a nearby highway and operating at night, do you usually run with your headlight on the brightest position (I'm assuming there are multiple settings)? Reason I ask is that I was driving S/B on US 301 south of Hawthorne, FL, where the road is right next to and parallel to the CSX "S" line, on Sun. night 7/11 around 11:00 pm. I got temporarily blinded by a N/B CSX freight running at MAS; flicked him my high beams, and only got a single horn blast in return.

What's the protocol on this, if any? It was a dark, moonless night, and I guess if I was up there in the cab I'd probably feel a whole lot better about being able to see as far and clearly down the track as possible. Do you ever, however, dim your headlight as a courtesy to oncoming car/truck traffic? What about meets with trains?
  by scooterz66

We are to dim our lights for on coming trains. I don't think the rule says anything about highway traffic.
  by DutchRailnut

correct trains are technicaly not to dim the headlights for other than oncomming trains.
Do some engineers do it, yes but totaly at their own risk.
  by scooterz66

DutchRailnut wrote:correct trains are technicaly not to dim the headlights for other than oncomming trains.
CSX has a rule to dim headlights when passing the head end of an oncoming train.
  by Passenger

DutchRailnut wrote:correct trains are technicaly not to dim the headlights for other than oncomming trains.
I assume they are officially permitted to do this?
  by DutchRailnut

no they are officialy NOT, the Engineer will do that at his own risk, if manure hit the rotating occilator , the Engineer could be out of service.
Like I said trains can only dim lights for on comming trains or traveling thru yards.
  by gp9rm4108

In Canada you are allowed to dim or even extinguish your lights when meeting other trains or vehicles but they still must be on bright for crossings. (That gets violated A LOT)
  by amtrakhogger

Try running in multiple track territory at rush hour. Your wrist will develop carpal tunnel syndrome after one trip.
  by BNSF-Conductor

sorry to drag up a 2 month old thread, just thoughtI'd put my $.02 in.

Quoted directly out of the 6th edition GCOR released April of this year. We are in no way,shape or form obligated or allowed to dim for oncoming traffic........maybe at some point this will be included, but as of now These are the rules that apply! Sorry I would tell my engineer to dim for ya if it was allowed in the rules!!!

5.9 Headlight Display
Turn the headlight on bright to the front of every train, except when the light must be dimmed as outlined
in Rule 5.9.1 (Dimming Headlight) or turned off as outlined in Rule 5.9.2 (Headlight Off).
5.9.1 Dimming Headlight
Approaching public crossings at grade with engine in front, the headlight must be on bright at
the crossing sign. If no sign, or if movement begins between sign and crossing, the headlight
must be on bright soon enough before the crossing to provide warning. Except when the engine
is approaching and passing over a public crossing at grade, dim the headlight during any of the
following conditions:
1. At stations and yards where switching is being done.

2. When stopped close behind a train.

3. When stopped on the main track waiting for an approaching train. However, when
stopped in block system limits, turn the headlight off at the radio request of the crew of an
approaching train, until the head end of the train passes.

4. When approaching and passing the head end of a train at night.

5. At other times to permit passing of hand signals or when the safety of employees requires.

6. When left unattended on a main track in non-signaled territory.
  by Engineer Spike

Where I work, one line runs a short stretch through the median of an interstate. The timetable says that the headlight is to be dimmed.
  by CN_Hogger

CN USOR rules allow us to dim our headlights along side a road. I usually don't though as the one stretch we do I'm usually fairly busy running my train.
  by gp9rm4108

The Canadian CROR rules are a lot less strict about the headlight.

17. HEADLIGHT

(a) The full power of the headlight in the direction of travel must be used
approaching each public crossing at grade until the crossing is fully occupied.

(b) When moving on main track, the headlight must be displayed full power
continuously to the front of every movement and except as required by (a),
may be dimmed or extinguished when;
(i) approaching or being approached by an opposing movement;
(ii) on a passenger carrying train, approaching a location where a stop is to
be made to entrain or detrain passengers;
(iii) facing oncoming vehicles at night which may be affected on adjacent
roadways; or
(iv) weather conditions cause the vision of the operating crew to be impaired.

(c) On non-main track except as required by (a), the headlight on a movement
will be;
(i) displayed at the front and rear of an engine while moving, except the light
may be extinguished on the end coupled to cars;
(ii) displayed at the front while moving forward except when approaching or
being approached by an opposing movement.

(d) If the headlight on a movement fails and repairs cannot be made, ditch lights
will be used in lieu of the headlight and the movement may proceed.

(e) If all headlights and ditch lights have failed, such lights as are available must
be used proceeding to the first point where repairs can be made. At public
and private crossings at grade not protected by automatic warning devices,
movements must not exceed 10 MPH unless the crossing is known to be
clear of traffic and will remain clear until occupied.

19. DITCH LIGHTS
A train must have ditch lights displayed continuously in the direction of travel
when the headlight is required to be displayed full power.
If ditch light(s) fail en route, the movement may proceed to the next point where
repairs can be made.
  by sd80mac

CN_Hogger wrote:CN USOR rules allow us to dim our headlights along side a road. I usually don't though as the one stretch we do I'm usually fairly busy running my train.

CP trains did that whenever we drove toward to them up in Baniff area in 91' they did had ditch lights and I think if I remember right, that it was first time I had seen ditch lights. I didn't see CR had them til later. Of course, I wasn't into railfanning at that time. I took "break" from railfanning while I was into sports. I was up there as a member of USA hockey team in deaf world games.
  by CSX Conductor

As dutch mentioned the headlight may be dimmed only when passing a train travelling in the other direction. There are some other rules on various railroads regarding headlights while standing still. On CSXT's Boston Line there is a Special Instruction that the headlight must be dimmed between MP10 & CP-3, unless there is inclement weather as the line paralells I-90. On CSXT the headlight may be extinguished if the locomotive is stationary, even on a main line.

Perhaps the original poster should contact CSXT's public relations dept and express his concerns and maybe they'll add a Special Instruction for that area.

Nowadays there are too many locomotives with cameras out there so it's not worth it to violate any rules. Often some guys extinguish their headlight altogether, but as mentioned earlier they are taking a gamble by doing so.
  by Ocala Mike

CSX Conductor, the "original poster" learned a lot about this subject from this thread. I don't get up on 301 enough to worry about it, but thanks for the suggestion about contacting CSXT.

Now that I come to think about it, the "S" line down here doesn't do too badly with grade crossing accidents, but I think it has more than its share of "trespassers" getting hit deliberately or otherwise along the tracks. Keep those high beams on, and work those horns, boys!