Railroad Forums 

• Happy Independence Day

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#31561  by Jtgshu

I wanna wish a Happy Independence day to everyone here, and hope everyone has a happy, and safe holiday!!!

Has/is anyone taking the train to NYP to see the fireworks or other events in local towns last night or tonight?

There were probably, no joke, 1500 plus people waiting to get onto my train last night in Red Bank after the fireworks. It was an absolute madhouse. We managed to get everyone on the train somehow, but ive never felt the cars bottom out when hitting bumps from being so overloaded. We were in Red Bank for approx 10 minutes just loading up. Several people (passegners) told me that last year (I usually attend the Red Bank fireworks, rather than work) that they ran like 2 or 3 extra trains, and they were stationed in Red Bank (for the eastbound) and Southern (for the westbound) Yard, and pulled into the station and were waiting in the station for the crowds, so that the scheduled trains wouldn't get clobbered. Apparently they didn't do that last night. To top it off, the eastbound train, had only 6 cars, they left people behind in Red Bank, not to mention had to make all their normal eastbound stops. But of course, many people would be getting off in Middletown, Hazlet, matawan, etc, but they were still EXTREMELY overcrowded. The Bay Head shuttle connection with the westbound had only 3 cars too.

Not the smartest move on NJT's part. I swear to god some people at NJT are completely braindead. One of the largest amount of people to get on the train for the YEAR in any one location, and they did squat to actually cater to teh crowds. God forbid they pay for 2 extra service crews to come out and run two extra trains......

#31580  by nick11a

Thanks Jt! May you and all else in this board have a good ID too. No, I didn't ride on the extra trains and don't plan to. Sounds like a nightmare! I almost went to the fireworks in New Prov yesterday but after a long day of painting the living room, I decided to be a party pooper and go to sleep. But, I still heard them pretty good! Glad to hear you had a great time last night. Don't worry, I'll try to get over to your summer train if I get a chance this summer just to make your day miserable.

"Are we there yet?"
"No."
"Are we there yet?"
"No."
"Are we there yet?"
"No.".... :wink:

Maybe next time I'm down in good old Perth Amboy. And I like your new signature btw.

#31798  by BlockLine_4111

Glad to grab a small taste of the NJ shore this weekend. Going to lay low today due to the heat and humidity. :D :D :wink: :) :)