Railroad Forums 

• Handbags Made From Acela Seats Anyone??

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1488799  by artman

Anthony wrote:Reusing the leather from the seats on the soon-to-be-retired Acela sets will save a lot of animals from being slaughtered to make new leather
No animals are slaughtered for leather. it is a by=product of those already being slaughtered for other purposes (meat)
 #1489201  by daybeers

Milepost 110 wrote:Imagine how many rears went on those seats which is now your wife's purse.... thats actually very disgusting. :P
The leather was actually put in a washing machine. Watch the video.
 #1489202  by David Benton

daybeers wrote:
Milepost 110 wrote:Imagine how many rears went on those seats which is now your wife's purse.... thats actually very disgusting. :P
The leather was actually put in a washing machine. Watch the video.
And new leather is prepared using some pretty harsh chemicals. I would prefer used. you can add Dairy to the industries that produce leather , most calf leather would come from the dairy industry rather than the meat industry.
 #1489289  by Arborwayfan

I think this thread is kind of strange. I mean, I don't see a lot of posts about how gross it is to sit on Acela seats, or chairs and couches anyplace. The buts, in any case, can't be grosser than cutting the skin of a dead steer and processing it with whatever chemicals they use. (150 years ago they used dog turds, which they called "pure".) And I don't see a lot of posts making fun of people who collect tickets or date nails or builders' plates or timetables or whole cars. Probably none of you think it's funny that I have some old spikes lying around (scrounged from an old ROW after the track was scrapped and taken away. If Amtrak can make a little money, or even just save disposal costs, and someone else can make money out of leather that's still good, why not.
 #1489323  by Tadman

Arborwayfan wrote:I think this thread is kind of strange. I mean, I don't see a lot of posts about how gross it is to sit on Acela seats, or chairs and couches anyplace. .
I may not have posted on that very issue, but I think it every day. I'm on an airplane or train 5-10x/week. I'm sitting in an airport now. The amount of people dressed inappropriately for travel stuns me. One's moral values or sexuality issues are none of my business, but the fact is bare skin in public transport is super gross. Those seats are not often cleaned, and the amount of skin-tight or lack of clothing astounds me. That means you're sitting directly on whatever germs or residue the last person left. Hard pass...

I wear slacks and a blazer on planes and trains, and they go straight to the wash once home. You may question the slacks-vs-shorts issue, but I would prefer not to have my knees knocking against my neighbor. Planes are proven heavy germ carriers.